www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said the cost of living is going down......

+8
bug1
Diddycoon
Spirit
kat
Thistle
wayside
Pegasus

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who said the cost of living is going down...... Empty Who said the cost of living is going down......

Post by karma Sat 07 Feb 2009, 9:43 pm

Hubby has a liking for Napoli Salami from the Co-op St Sampsons - so every week it is a week-end treat!!!!

2 Weeks ago it was 1.35 per qtr (that's right in old weight) then they didn't have any for a week - but yesterday - JOY there it was - but now it is 1.65 per qtr!!! Well I know that the euro has plunged in value - but in a week 30p on a qtr of a lb is some hike - bet we don't go down at all.......

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Who said the cost of living is going down...... Empty Re: Who said the cost of living is going down......

Post by Pegasus Mon 09 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm

My dear friend Inflation will get to 10% by the end of the year, Boom or Bust

So karma your salami will cost you a lot more within the next 6 months
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Who said the cost of living is going down...... Empty Re: Who said the cost of living is going down......

Post by karma Mon 09 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm

Hmmmmmm - well as I belong to 'save the pigs' I wont worry - but im indoors might be a bit miffed :-) thanks for the warning.....

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 09 Feb 2009, 10:55 pm

I dont think inflation will be that high as there are things like house prices, fuel etc that will keep it low,

Anything bought in Dollars or Euros are having a hard time at the moment but will probably stabalise a bit in the next few months.

The chinese for example are despirate for business to keep workers in work and are cutting margins, and every one from the importers to the retailers are trying to keep rises to a minimum.

Salami at £1.65 is about 22% up, I would expect that to drop soon as its a bit steep, but not likely to go back to £1.35 for quite a while.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 09 Feb 2009, 11:13 pm

I suppose I can reduce the cost by only buying it on double divi day that takes 8p in the £1 off ....need to be a bleedin mathematician these days LOL

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 10 Feb 2009, 8:37 am

lots of prices in the shops are going sky high.a pair of trousers i bought last year for £12 are £15 this year.why are eggs so costly.i guess the farmers will tell us the cost of grain has gone up.bread,milk,rice,chees just a few of the items that are forever increasing in cost.would be nice if a wage rise compensated for these increases.lol
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 10:21 am

Eggs are my 'bete noir' the Co-op sell them at outrageous prices (£2.05 for 6) and I'm not sure I believe all the bumf about 'Free Range' etc etc - so my friend keeps chooks in St Martins and I always get them from her - her hens are free to roam, they are fed on a veggie diet - they all have a name and there is no fella around so they are unfertilized!!!! She sells them at £2.85 a dozen!!! I told her that was too cheap and she says it covers her cost + feed and she makes a profit!!!! so I rest my point and I forgot to say deep yellow yummy yolks!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 10 Feb 2009, 10:57 am

please tell me where i love free range eggs.yum yum .i believe in hedge vegging whenever i know of some goodies to be had lol
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:06 am

Thistle - I'll have a word with her for you when I go up to collect mine at the week end - she has a regular customer base - so I'll see if there is room for a 'little one' LOL (you notice I'm guarding my supply lol! ) and I forgot to say all the hens have been vaccinated against Salmonella so the eggs can be used for fresh mayo!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:18 am

even when you go shopping for the essential items prices are so hight ..even tea bags have gone up ..
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:21 am

I have frozen my prices at January 2008 levels, so not everything is going up.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:23 am

sorry to be silly - selling what?????

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 10 Feb 2009, 12:35 pm

Myself.

(Plumbing, heating, electrics, oil boiler servicing & repairs, mini-digger etc.)
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 12:39 pm

why didn' I know that when I needed one of the above?????

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 10 Feb 2009, 2:08 pm

Lots of companies are extending sales, we have reduduced everything by cutting our margins so even whe the sale is over we will be below 2007/8 prices on 90% of what we sell.

On the Bridge, I have discontinued some lines as the increases are not viable, one of the best selling suites we sell has gone up by £450 because the supplier has not absorbed some of the increase, so once the existing stock has gone I wont stock it until prices stababilse.

If people shop around they will see some bargains,

Regarding tea bags I saw Typhoo and Tetley both 100% Extra Free in one of the shops a few days ago, so shop around.

On the hotel side of things we have held prices except for about 6 weeks where we only increased prices by £2 a night off season deals are better than ever with free nights etc, and Beer Prices have remained the same even though we have had 3 price increases, since last time we increased them.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Tue 10 Feb 2009, 3:12 pm

Yes I agree in the fact everyday essentials have gone up ie bread milk dramatically. As a well known bargain hunter - shop around for things. I am someone whom stocks up on items we use all the time when they are on special offer - from washing powder to kitty food - it has saved us money long term. As well if you use the coop stock up on double dividend days and you get more stamps out of it. I get fuel at laumone and get stamps from that.
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 10 Feb 2009, 3:22 pm

i agree about buying things when on special.like DC i buy all my cleaning things when bogof.also do the same for bath bubbles and shower gels,shaving gels,toothpastes,plug in airfresheners,soap powders etc.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Tue 10 Feb 2009, 3:37 pm

My(much maligned) wife is not the only one then!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 10 Feb 2009, 5:14 pm

i got a cupboard full of all these things and will buy more next time they are on bogoff. i buy those floorwash things as well
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 5:32 pm

I get around that one by not cleaning 8)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 10 Feb 2009, 6:13 pm

karma wrote:why didn' I know that when I needed one of the above?????

PM sent
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 7:15 pm

Cheers for that :-))))

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm

Envelope in the post :sick1:
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:45 pm

Isn't that supposed to be cheque is in the post :PMSL: seriously though - thanks

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Wed 11 Feb 2009, 8:34 pm

Yes its well worth doing and yes I include bubble bath, shampoos, shower gel, drinks, and bogofs as well thistle - have 2 show u my supply when I see you!
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next