www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Business backs culling deputies by at least 10

+2
Spirit
GD
6 posters

Go down

Business backs culling deputies by at least 10 Empty Business backs culling deputies by at least 10

Post by GD Thu 11 Jun 2009, 8:04 pm

BUSINESS leaders have backed calls for a slimmed down States of Guernsey.

This follows former Health minister Peter Roffey suggesting a cull of up to 17 deputies from the Assembly.

Reducing the number from 45 to 35 would reduce costs and improve efficiencies, he said.

Speaking at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting, he suggested the House could even be cut to just 28 members.

Chamber of Commerce director Barry Cash said he would follow any developments with interest.

‘I believe reducing the number of deputies to 35 needs to be considered. I don’t think we need a States as big as we have and the Chamber agrees it needs to be looked at.’

Confederation of Guernsey Industry chairman Peter Budwin has been calling for a slimmer States for years.

‘The island is overrepresented. The process would run more smoothly for everyone if the number was reduced. For a small community, 35 deputies would be plenty,’ he said. ‘We are running the risk of over-governing.’

Mr Roffey believes Guernsey could cope with as few as four deputies for each of the seven electoral districts - a cut of almost 40%. (from thisisguernsey)

I worry that if the States cut's down any more are we going to end of with just a bunch of inexperienced, indecisive, members, maybe Peter Roffey is right, but we need the right calibre of States Members to run this Island

I am wonder whether he would agree that at present, the members is the house lack business knowledge, compared to the members, Peter served with in the past, surely this must be a big worry for the Island...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Business backs culling deputies by at least 10 Empty Re: Business backs culling deputies by at least 10

Post by Spirit Thu 11 Jun 2009, 8:10 pm

The culling idea sounds good. Do they need a hand? I am quite a good shot.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Business backs culling deputies by at least 10 Empty Re: Business backs culling deputies by at least 10

Post by bug1 Thu 11 Jun 2009, 9:40 pm

GD says we need "The right calibre" of States Members!O I wish.Look around the world and see the "calibre"of elected politicians.It makes me weep.There's a lot to be said for a Benevolent Dictator!
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 11 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm

bug1 wrote:GD says we need "The right calibre" of States Members!O I wish.Look around the world and see the "calibre"of elected politicians.It makes me weep.There's a lot to be said for a Benevolent Dictator!

Benevolent Dictator - isn't that an Oxymoron??

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 12 Jun 2009, 11:14 am

who do we think should have the chop then?
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 12 Jun 2009, 1:31 pm

karma wrote:
bug1 wrote:GD says we need "The right calibre" of States Members!O I wish.Look around the world and see the "calibre"of elected politicians.It makes me weep.There's a lot to be said for a Benevolent Dictator!

Benevolent Dictator - isn't that an Oxymoron??

Not at all, dictator merely means 'government by an individual'. That person can be good, bad or indifferent. Although is usually bad.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down