www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service

4 posters

Go down

Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service Empty Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service

Post by Dell Wed 17 Jun 2009, 7:03 pm

The Guernsey Ambulance and Rescue Service say it's going to be a difficult twelve months to find funding. The service receives a grant from the States each year but it only covers 70 per cent of what it needs. The crew have to rely on charitable donations to fund important operations like paramedics, cliff rescue and the marine ambulance the Flying Christine. Chief Officer Jon Beausire says the team work hard to raise the funds.

From Channel online

Should the States pay more or subsidise the Ambulance Service? Or should we all pay more and have compulsory subscriptions? What do you think?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service Empty Re: Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service

Post by Spirit Wed 17 Jun 2009, 7:09 pm

Maybe they should stop wasting money?
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service Empty Re: Tough year ahead for Ambulance Service

Post by Dell Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:27 pm

How do they waste money Spirit? What do you know?

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:41 pm

Flying Christine?
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 18 Jun 2009, 7:29 pm

Spirit, what if you were in Sark and had an unfortunate accident and needed to be transported in the equivalent of an ambulance back to Guernsey? With a paramedic and all of the drugs and treatment needed to give you a calm transfer? Without the Flying Christine the alternatives would be the back of an open fishing boat or whatever was available!!! Not really a pleasant thought..... IMO of course!!

I may have a different view, but I am happy that they have such an excellent service (and no.... I have no connections what-so-ever with them! LOL) and am content to pay the annual subscription along with a lot of other people.

Personally, I think that all of the staff at the Ambulance Service provide a fantastic service that is second to none. My question was whether they should receive more funding from the States (ie the tax payer) or not?

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 18 Jun 2009, 7:39 pm

What gets me wondering is how the rest of the world copes. With 11,000 inhabited islands in the world, we are the only one with a marine ambulance.

How did we cope when the Flying Christine was out of action after hitting the rocks? Maybe there were problems, even deaths, but I never heard of any.

I don't know how much it costs to run it, but it must be 100s of 1000s per year.
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 18 Jun 2009, 7:49 pm

I understand your point Spirit, but I still personally feel that we get an excellent service and the peace of mind of such excellent facilities certainly comforts me. I am not at sea everyday or transferring to outer Islands, or resident on one for that matter.... but if I was I would feel greatly comforted by such an excellent facility being available should I need it.

There are other examples of marine ambulance's, here is one in Ireland at the following: ARTICLE

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 18 Jun 2009, 7:58 pm

The Ireland example isn't a marine ambulance vehicle, it is a paramedic team which hitches a ride with the coastguard, air-sea rescue etc.
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Thu 18 Jun 2009, 8:03 pm

With you 100% Spirit.It all comes back to "gold-plated services".Of the few dealings I've had with them their service has been excellent but I wonder if their capabilities and equipment are a bit over engineered? Before we consider more in the way of States(ie us taxpayers)assistance I think they should consider charging in instances where stupid behavior has required their help.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 18 Jun 2009, 8:12 pm

Is that not more the Lifeboat Bug?

Dell
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 18 Jun 2009, 8:59 pm

I suppose if we are looking at the finances how many times per year is the Christine used (a) and what is the upkeep cost (b), when one is divided into the other is it a viable service. Certainly a good service but viable/necessary is another question. Didn't the Barclays offer their Helicpter to do emergency airlifts. How about a medic team using a chartered boat where necessary, that may be a cheaper option.
There are also other ways to get funds in. I once approached them to get a membership for an event. So if the ambo' was used for a competitor during the event, and most competitors were UK/Euro' based the event membership would cover the ambo' use as opposed to the competitor. The answer was no. This seemed odd to me cause they would have had a subscription for one event whether we used them or not. We did three events per year.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum