www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petition against the Incinerator plus march

+14
boatyboy
The Gimp
stan
technophobe
Pete Burtenshaw
Bouzat
Alpy
kat
Fast Robert
Spirit
GD
kingcolemk
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Petition against the Incinerator plus march Empty Petition against the Incinerator plus march

Post by Thistle Fri 17 Jul 2009, 8:59 pm

Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Petition against the Incinerator plus march Empty Re: Petition against the Incinerator plus march

Post by karma Fri 17 Jul 2009, 9:09 pm

Wonderful!!! No Guernsey or even Channel Islands - so I pressed on only to be told that my Zip/Postal Code was too short!!! so wouldn't accept my vote!!!!!! no use putting UK on a Guernsey protest either.....

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Petition against the Incinerator plus march Empty Re: Petition against the Incinerator plus march

Post by Thistle Fri 17 Jul 2009, 9:14 pm

put my postcode in capitals karma .i was able to sign it.i was annoyed no guernsy or channel islands so had to put uk.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 17 Jul 2009, 9:18 pm

Why would people in the UK lend clout to a cause that is exclusive to Guernsey???? that just makes me want to switch off - if David de Lisle organised it - it is not really good enough!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 18 Jul 2009, 9:36 am

What is wrong with an Incinerator ? It is the cleanest and safest way of refuse disposal. Have you been past the tip lately, it stinks 'orrible.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat 18 Jul 2009, 9:53 am

Do you live in St Sampsons - we already get the 'stuff' that spews out of the Electricity Company's towering infernos!!!! IMO we do not need any more pollution in such a highly populated area and if you were listening to the 'Sunday Phone In' last week there was a guy from Jersey who was responsible in part for the Jersey incinerator and he was saying to Guernsey to not go down the same road - as the long term health hazzards are just now beginning to appear!!! If we have any sense we learn from other people's experiments!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Sat 18 Jul 2009, 6:08 pm

A PROTEST march against plans for a large incinerator will be held next Sunday.

The march, from Salerie Corner to Longue Hougue, is being organised by a local couple, with support from Friends of the Earth Guernsey Branch.

Peter and Lisa Burtenshaw feel States members should take more time looking at other options before passing the Public Services Department’s £93m. plans to build an incinerator.

‘We know that we need something because we can’t carry on sending things to landfill, but we need something that is going to be cost effective, environmentally friendly, multi-purpose, will maximise revenue and something that has no harmful toxins involved,’ said Mr Burtenshaw.

‘PSD’s incinerator doesn’t cover any of these things and it will spew out many toxins, which isn’t good for the population or the environment.’

He said they were not wholly against an incinerator.

‘We need something environmentally friendly, and they need to look hard at all the options and what ticks the right boxes.’

PSD’s plans for a combined sorting and recycling facility and energy from a waste plant have been criticised by many islanders.

Other suggestions have been made, including the Rational Alternative, which would see two micro-incinerators being built.
(from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sat 18 Jul 2009, 9:34 pm

karma wrote:Do you live in St Sampsons - we already get the 'stuff' that spews out of the Electricity Company's towering infernos!!!! IMO we do not need any more pollution in such a highly populated area and if you were listening to the 'Sunday Phone In' last week there was a guy from Jersey who was responsible in part for the Jersey incinerator and he was saying to Guernsey to not go down the same road - as the long term health hazzards are just now beginning to appear!!! If we have any sense we learn from other people's experiments!

Modern Incinerators are equipped with highly efficient emmission scrubbers. They cannot in any way be compared to the antiquated St Sampson chimneys.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sat 18 Jul 2009, 11:41 pm

Are they bollocks. As the enviroterrorists say.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert Sun 19 Jul 2009, 8:55 am

kingcolemk, they may well be better than they used to be, but does Guernsey want to tie itself in to hundreds of millions for a plant that may well be breaching environmental regulations in the near future as the epidemiological studies into PM2.5s become accepted (as they are increasingly in the US), and require retro fitting and keep paying for inefficient power and obsolete technology for 25 years to a foreign company raking it in from the finance deal?
Fast Robert
Fast Robert

Male
Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 19 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

We do need a way to get rid of our waste ,this has been going on for many years now .
In this time we have still not come up with an all singing dancing way to get rid of our rubbish.

In this day and age we need to reuse and recycle as much as we can
and burn the rest in an manner that will be safe for us all .
Our surrounding area must be protected as we live in such a small island it is important we get it right .
If we have to share with Jersey so be it ,but we will need to export our rubbish in a safe way .
i do know of a huge boat that could be filled with rubbish to send to them already so this cost has already been met!
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Mon 20 Jul 2009, 11:03 am

Sending all the rubbish to Jersey sounds good to me........ :PMSL:
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 20 Jul 2009, 11:58 am

Dear All

Waste Results

Thanks for all of your responses. Article and PDF (bottom of article) of the results are available here

Waste Survey Results

Kind Regards
Neil Inder - Director
Submarine Limited

GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 26 Jul 2009, 4:11 pm

a very good turnout for the protest against the incinerator.well done to everybody involved
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 26 Jul 2009, 5:13 pm

yes it was a very good turn out ..shame i did not take a drink with me ...
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 26 Jul 2009, 5:35 pm

yes well done everybody - lets hope it is not too late (I had more hope when Scott Ogier was on our side.....now I'm not so sure)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouzat Thu 30 Jul 2009, 8:12 am

Well what do we do now? Can we lobby all the deputies on this Forum?
Bouzat
Bouzat

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 30 Jul 2009, 9:16 am

Suez was a multinational corporation, or MNC, based in France that ran
water, waste management, electricity, natural gas, and, for a short
time, telecommunications projects across the world. In 2008, Suez
merged with the powerful French company Gaz de France to create GDF
Suez, a utility company. The waste treatment and water components of
the former Suez were rolled into a new multinational corporation called
Suez Environnement.

Suez had a long and complex history with
roots tracing back to the Netherlands in 1822 and including mergers and
breaks with several companies. The name Suez came from its
participation with the building of the Suez Canal in the middle 1800s.
After joining the company in 1984 as Vice President, Gérard Mestrallet
climbed up in the company to become chairman and chief executive
officer (CEO) in 2001. He held this position when the merger with Gaz
de France took place and then transferred to become CEO of Suez
Environnement.

The merger caused considerable controversy in
France, since the state previously had a governing share of ownership
of Gaz de France. When the plan was first announced in February of
2006, French Prime Minister Villepin and President Sarkozy were at odds
over the merger, with Villepin supporting the two-way merger and
Sarkozy promoting a deal that would allow the French state to maintain
its controlling share.

As the two reached an agreement to let
the deal go ahead, leftist opposition throughout the country continued
to raise objections over the privatization of Gaz de France, fearing
price hikes. Plans went on in spite of the criticism, however, and
French laws and Gaz de France shares were restructured to allow the
deal to take place. On 22 July 2008 Suez and Gaz de France officially
merged to form GDF Suez, the second largest utility company in the
world.

The water and waste divisions of the former Suez became
their own company, Suez Environnement, of which GDF Suez owns a
substantial share. These divisions had their beginnings with La Société
Lyonnaise des Eaux et de l'Eclairage, which managed the water supply in
Cannes, France beginning in 1880. Operations have evolved to include
catchment, treatment, and distribution of drinking water, purification
of industrial water, and the collection, treatment, recycling, energy
recovery, incineration, and landfill depositing of waste. Suez
Environnement has several subsidiaries, including United Water, Ondeo,
Degrémont, Sita, and Safege.

As one of the largest water
companies in the world, Suez has come under fire from critics of water
privatization worldwide. The company has suffered several public
relations injuries due to water privatization debacles, notably a
corruption scandal in Grenoble, the loss of its contract with Atlanta,
Georgia, and contract re-negotiations in the Philippines.
Anti-privatization activists and non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
such as Food and Water Watch claim Suez has exploited the poor,
over-billed its consumers, and not delivered on its contractual
obligations. Suez maintains that it has upheld its contracts, improved
water accessibility and quality in its contracted areas, and has had
far more success than failure with its water contracts.
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 30 Jul 2009, 1:05 pm

May I on behalf of Lisa and I thank all of those who marched on Sunday 26th against the PSD/SUEZ mass burner & for emission control checks on both the Power Station & PEH emissions. Equally, we would also like to say a big thank you for to the 446 + who signed our petitions for the very same principles and those many many messages of support. May I add that the March on Sunday WAS NOT under any circumstances supporting the G-CAN/RA proposal even though this crowd did all they can to hijack our plans by any means possible. The same applies to their petition it WAS NOT associated in anyway with our petition. We do not support any form of incineration what so ever.

I must confess I had a suspicion that the Jones/dowen/G-CAN/RA Sursess would be thrown out. But in saying this the very deep disappointment and concern of

Guernsey having a mass toxic burner on our shores is overwhelming. All of the Deputies who supported the PSD/SUEZ proposal have I am sure felt they have made the right choice and it is not for me to rubbish them and I will not, they have at least stood by their convictions and supported those in our community who expressed their rights and wanted the PSD/SUEZ proposal.

Those Deputies who voted for the Jones/dowen/G-CAN/RA Sursee for the right reasons to kick out incineration and look into other cleaner technologies I applaud loudly. They supported those of us who shared/share the same principles, fears and concerns and these fear and concerns will only increase in time and will never change.

The world of rubbish is, apart from being very very lucrative, is also a very very 'dirty business' in many ways. If PSD/SUEZ had not been voted in and Jones/dowen/G-CAN/RA Sursee had been successful, we may have seen another form of incineration being pushed up there taking over the Number 1 spot.

Its been alleged, that there were those in the House on the 29th & there were those through full page open letters in the press, for whatever reason blatantly & it could be alleged blindly promoted and supported the G-CAN/RA (sorry the G-CAN association was officially dropped on Tuesday it seems) RA proposal but rejected the PSD/SUEZ mass incinerator???

]A friend quoted ''the speech by D.Owen in the House on the 29th never once mentioned the concern of the 'health' of the islands population when she was supporting the G-CAN/RA proposal. In fact Owen must have thanked the G-CAN/RA crowd, (sorry RA crowd) so many times during her speech it became rather nauseating and seemed like she was recording an advert on their behalf for Island FM''. My friend said at one stage they were waiting for those Deputies and supporters of G-CAN/RA in the House to pull off their top clothes and reveal a t-shirts with the slogan on the front, ''SUPPORT THE G-CAN/RA INCINERATOR AND BURN EM UP' - I AM'........ When they turned around on the back was written ''YOU CAN CON MOST OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME''.........Now, that is naughty..........They went on to say, ''the reason for no mention of 'HEALTH' with regards the RA proposal (which was the overwhelming link of all those G-CAN/RA supporters in and out if the House) was because they concentrated on the 'cost'. 'One should ask why. It could be alleged that the G-CAN/RA (sorry-RA) proposal was not to concentrate on the 'incinerator' associated with their micro plant and lose support, hence the massive distraction promoting the cost factor of the PSD/SUEZ and the 'cheap as chips' G-CAN/RA (dam-ra) proposal''. Riveting stuff...they go on, ''Therefore, they strongly suspected that the health question could never come into any of those in/out of the Houses PR which could be argued that by excluding the very important health issues it meant the health of the population of the island was not high on their agenda''.....Interesting assumption I thought.....

They also observed that ''the very people driving the Alternative (& those listed in the open letter in the Press were also supporting them) were in control and not those elected representatives for whatever reason saw no health issues with one proposal but saw health issues with another''...

Finally, I conclude and ask two questions

1) 'how can a once well-respected environmental group such as G-CAN be in the same camp as those supporting incineration as a part solution in dealing with our waste issue'

2) and has G-CAN been hijacked by those from the dark side???????..

I hope not.....I really hope not.....

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Thu 30 Jul 2009, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Thu 30 Jul 2009, 1:12 pm

I think that the sentance stating that 'we do not support incineration of any sort what so ever' indicates a very closed mind attitude and an unwillingness to listen to any discussions to the contrary.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Thu 30 Jul 2009, 2:06 pm

That would be about right bearing in mind it's coming out of Pete Burtenshaw's mouth.

He is unwilling to listen to anyone apart from himself, whether it's incineration, drugs. the finance industry, whatever. Hence he wasn't voted in at the deputies' election and had to stand for the douzaine, against a rabbit from L'Ancresse common and a sheep from the L'Eree aerodrome.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert Thu 30 Jul 2009, 2:40 pm

G-CAN (and I can't speak for them) would probably not support incineration if there were time to propose a non-burn option. The micro units would be as a stop gap until the etch comes online. The whole point is that they can be bought, set up and decommissioned with ease, as opposed to buying a 25 year contract of a beast that will require decontaminating and a completely uncosted environmental exercise.
Fast Robert
Fast Robert

Male
Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Thu 30 Jul 2009, 3:39 pm

all has been lost .the states have voted yes for the incinerator
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Thu 30 Jul 2009, 4:02 pm

That will be the end of the new schools plan then.
Spirit
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 30 Jul 2009, 4:45 pm

I trust memories are long enough to know who NOT to vote in at the next electioin!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next