www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robbery at Dolphin Stores

+5
wayside
kiwis kitten
GD
9 posters

Go down

Robbery at Dolphin Stores Empty Robbery at Dolphin Stores

Post by GD Sun 23 Aug 2009, 6:43 pm

It is reported that a robbery took place Saturday Afternoon at around 4pm, two people in a black sports car are alleged to have robbed the Dolphin Stores

Police are looking for witnesses who might of seen the incident...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Robbery at Dolphin Stores Empty Re: Robbery at Dolphin Stores

Post by kiwis kitten Sun 23 Aug 2009, 7:53 pm

The Lady who works there was unhurt but very shaken...

Little swines !!! :x
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 23 Aug 2009, 8:43 pm

When they catch them which I am sure they will I hope they make an example of them as we cant have that sort of thing going in in a place like Guernsey

Black Sports Cars are not exactly the most common vehicle if they release clothing and other descriptions surely they can be identified
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Mon 24 Aug 2009, 2:53 am

"Place Like Guernsey"

Whats that mean Wayside ?

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 24 Aug 2009, 10:29 am

I would have thought it obvious but will explain, in big cities around the world robbing shops seems a passtime that has become acceptable for some reason, here we do not expect to have to have grills covering grocery shop windows, or high tech security, same would apply to a small country village.

shop robberies are not acceptable in a "Place Like Guernsey" and we are small enough to be able to catch the little sods and hopefully deal with them harshly to deter others.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 24 Aug 2009, 11:23 am

shop robberies are not acceptable in a "Place Like Guernsey" and we are small enough to be able to catch the little sods and hopefully deal with them harshly to deter others!!!

I love your optimism Wayside......but I've never seen a 'slapped wrist' have the desired effect!!!! more likely to see Pink Pigs doing a victory roll over St Peter Port Harbour before we see harsh sentences bought in!!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 1:56 am

wayside wrote:I would have thought it obvious but will explain, in big cities around the world robbing shops seems a passtime that has become acceptable for some reason, here we do not expect to have to have grills covering grocery shop windows, or high tech security, same would apply to a small country village.

shop robberies are not acceptable in a "Place Like Guernsey" and we are small enough to be able to catch the little sods and hopefully deal with them harshly to deter others.

Times have changed and Guernsey is no longer a crime free area as many still make it out to be,drug culture and petty crime comes hand in hand,it seems rarely a few days pass without some form of vandalism or commercial premises have been robbed.

Im happy to say were i live i can still leave my doors and windows open 24/7 something "a place like guernsey" cannot do.

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KiwiG Tue 25 Aug 2009, 4:56 am

Then you are truly fortunate Chok.

Here in South Auckland New Zealand, we live under siege mentality most of the time, locked doors, a locked gate.

I don't know where in Thailand you live, but I found the following interesting:
Crime Threats

Although the crime threat in Bangkok remains lower than in many American cities, non-confrontational crimes of opportunity, such as pick pocketing, purse snatching, and burglaries have become more common in recent years. Travelers should be especially wary when walking in crowded markets, tourist sites, and bus or train stations (including the Skytrain and underground subway lines). In the past year, several American citizens reported passports, wallets, and other valuables being stolen in Bangkok’s popular Chatuchak Weekend Market (usually by thieves who cut into purses or bags with a razor and remove items surreptitiously). Purses, wallets, and fanny packs should be worn to the front in crowded areas. In the event of a loss or theft of these items, travelers should report the loss to the police. Thailand has a Tourist Police Division comprised of English-speaking personnel designed specifically to address crimes committed against foreigners in Thailand. The Tourist Police Division of the Royal Thai Police can be reached throughout Thailand by dialing 1155.

More recently, travelers to Thailand have experienced criminal activity targeting their credit cards and passports for identity theft. There have been several reports of criminals using skimming devices on legitimate ATMs to ascertain valid credit card numbers and PIN numbers for debit cards. There are well-organized credit card fraud rings that have international connections. It is highly recommended that the use of credit cards and debit cards be restricted to well-established businesses. Travelers should be cautious in taking special care in safeguarding all items that could be used for identity theft.

Visitors should be aware of several commercial and merchant-based scams operating in Thailand. These scams involve precious gems, tours, and entertainment events. Travelers should be wary of any implausible sales featuring precious gems and/or jewelry. Americans frequently encounter taxi drivers and others who advertise for particular gem stores or entertainment venues. Often times, kickbacks or commissions are involved. Some unscrupulous merchants may drive up the prices of the goods or services because they are dealing with Americans or foreigners. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) receives over 1,000 complaints each year from visitors who have been cheated on gem purchases.

Not an awful amount of any of that happening in a "place like Guernsey"
KiwiG
KiwiG

Male
Number of posts : 806
Humor : I think............if I don't thwim!!
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 6:23 am

I dont live in Bangkok and to compare a major city with a influx of 18 million people daily and a small island is rather stupid,however the simple facts remain I can leave all my doors open and my windows without fear of someone coming in my home,something you cannot do in "a place like guernsey"

For people to still think Guernsey is a crime free area as it use to be are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Petty crime,drug offences,commercial break ins,drunk and disorderly conduct,are all now part of "life in guernsey"

How many guernsey residents on this forum leave their windows and doors open 24/7 ?

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Tue 25 Aug 2009, 7:23 am

How many guernsey residents on this forum leave their windows and doors open 24/7 ?

Few that would admit to doing so........... Surprised

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 7:31 am

Id say more like very few that do.If any ?

Regarding waysides comments about grills on windows i can confirm not only does my local grocery not have grills it dont even have glass in the windows Razz and no door Razz

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 7:47 am

KiwiG wrote:Then you are truly fortunate Chok.

Here in South Auckland New Zealand, we live under siege mentality most of the time, locked doors, a locked gate.

I don't know where in Thailand you live, but I found the following interesting:
Crime Threats

Although the crime threat in Bangkok remains lower than in many American cities, non-confrontational crimes of opportunity, such as pick pocketing, purse snatching, and burglaries have become more common in recent years. Travelers should be especially wary when walking in crowded markets, tourist sites, and bus or train stations (including the Skytrain and underground subway lines). In the past year, several American citizens reported passports, wallets, and other valuables being stolen in Bangkok’s popular Chatuchak Weekend Market (usually by thieves who cut into purses or bags with a razor and remove items surreptitiously). Purses, wallets, and fanny packs should be worn to the front in crowded areas. In the event of a loss or theft of these items, travelers should report the loss to the police. Thailand has a Tourist Police Division comprised of English-speaking personnel designed specifically to address crimes committed against foreigners in Thailand. The Tourist Police Division of the Royal Thai Police can be reached throughout Thailand by dialing 1155.

More recently, travelers to Thailand have experienced criminal activity targeting their credit cards and passports for identity theft. There have been several reports of criminals using skimming devices on legitimate ATMs to ascertain valid credit card numbers and PIN numbers for debit cards. There are well-organized credit card fraud rings that have international connections. It is highly recommended that the use of credit cards and debit cards be restricted to well-established businesses. Travelers should be cautious in taking special care in safeguarding all items that could be used for identity theft.

Visitors should be aware of several commercial and merchant-based scams operating in Thailand. These scams involve precious gems, tours, and entertainment events. Travelers should be wary of any implausible sales featuring precious gems and/or jewelry. Americans frequently encounter taxi drivers and others who advertise for particular gem stores or entertainment venues. Often times, kickbacks or commissions are involved. Some unscrupulous merchants may drive up the prices of the goods or services because they are dealing with Americans or foreigners. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) receives over 1,000 complaints each year from visitors who have been cheated on gem purchases.

Not an awful amount of any of that happening in a "place like Guernsey"

Mainly because Guernsey does not have many tourists lol and deffo not crowded areas of tourists,however i wouldnt be surprised if cruise ship passengers were charged inflated tarriffs in shops and by taxis,credit card fraud goes on in guernsey also,there have even been cases of bank staff taking money from clients accounts.

When the powerboats were popular many restaurants inflated their prices Razz

The crime free enviroment of Guernsey is in the long and distant past im afraid.

"The Tourist Police Division of the Royal Thai Police can be reached throughout Thailand by dialing 1155."

You just dont realise how funny that comment is I can assure you that any expat resident in Thai would not be going to the Tourist Police to report anyhting lol :) :)

Thats made me smile :) :) :)

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Tue 25 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

Chok,

Do they still have "instant justice" in Thailand? I was on holiday in Jomtien about 15 years ago when a young guy snatched a handbag from a tourist on the beach. The guys who ran the jet skis saw it happen, chased the culprit along the beach, caught him and kicked the crap out of him! I asked them about it when I went to hire a jet ski and they said that robbers were bad for business as it kept tourists away.

I thought it all made quite a lot of sense really.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by KiwiG Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:06 am

Chok

Good to see you smilin.

Mind you,

How could you not with that wee young fella, eh?
KiwiG
KiwiG

Male
Number of posts : 806
Humor : I think............if I don't thwim!!
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:18 am

Dell wrote:

Few that would admit to doing so........... Surprised

Or if they did - they would no longer after pulishing the fact on an open forum!!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 10:55 am

technophobe wrote:Chok,

Do they still have "instant justice" in Thailand? I was on holiday in Jomtien about 15 years ago when a young guy snatched a handbag from a tourist on the beach. The guys who ran the jet skis saw it happen, chased the culprit along the beach, caught him and kicked the crap out of him! I asked them about it when I went to hire a jet ski and they said that robbers were bad for business as it kept tourists away.

I thought it all made quite a lot of sense really.

The law in Thailand is to say at the least very odd,it favours a thai person over a foreigner,but you learn to adjust and not put yourself in "situations"

However many holidaymakers are not aware and do find themselves in "unusual situations"

I moved away from the tourists spots and now live in a rural area which is very laid back and hassle free.

"Instant Justice " does happen on many occasions whilst it isnt law lets say it does go on and "The Tourist Police " well they just walk on by lol Razz

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 25 Aug 2009, 10:56 am

KiwiG wrote:Chok

Good to see you smilin.

Mind you,

How could you not with that wee young fella, eh?

Thanks

Baby Chok sure is a reason to smile :)

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 25 Aug 2009, 4:15 pm

Just because there is increasing crime in Guernsey it does not meen we have to just accept that people can go around robbing shops in broad daylight and terrorising staff,

Theres a difference with night time breakins when places are empty, thats been a problem for years but those that have the will to confront people are potentially dangerous and need dealing with harshly.

Has there been discriptions published
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 25 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm

seems two peeps were in court today wayside.that is according to the guernsey press
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 25 Aug 2009, 4:56 pm

I thought at the time that our police force would have to incompetent not to catch people in a black sports car and witnesses, it should have been easy to piece together.

I hope that they do get dealt properly and not just a slapped wrist.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 25 Aug 2009, 9:41 pm

me too terry and his wife are a lovely couple.crime in guernsey is def getting worse
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down