www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn

+2
bug1
GD
6 posters

Go down

Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn Empty Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn

Post by GD Sat 17 Oct 2009, 2:57 pm

Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn 0856778

Chamber president Paul Luxon launches the I BUY GSY campaign. (Picture by Adrian Miller, 0856778)
A SPOKESMAN for Guernsey’s business leaders is urging islanders to buy local.

Launching its new campaign ‘I Buy GSY’ today with the support of the Guernsey Press, Chamber of Commerce president Paul Luxon said the plan was to raise awareness of how people could support the island’s economy.
Where possible, buying from businesses with a presence in Guernsey will help ensure money and jobs stay here.
That could mean buying locally-produced fruit and vegetables from farmers’ markets, using fishmongers, sampling cheeses made locally or selecting locally-grown mushrooms or Guernsey-reared meat.
Alternatively, it could mean supporting island restaurants, stores and using Guernsey-based services.
Chamber president Paul Luxon said the ‘buy local’ concept was more important than ever following the global financial market crash.
And pressure is continuing to mount on Guernsey to protect its interests.
Mr Luxon said every pound spent in Guernsey, whether on goods or services, large or small, generated profits and tax income.
But Mr Luxon said he was not suggesting that everyone must buy local all the time.
‘There will be instances where a local company simply cannot provide what is required, but if a service or product is available on island then supporting that local company or provider benefits us all.’ (from thisisguernsey)

I try to by local whenever I can...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn Empty Re: Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn

Post by bug1 Sat 17 Oct 2009, 5:30 pm

The Landsbankski depositors bought local?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn Empty Re: Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn

Post by Thistle Sat 17 Oct 2009, 5:45 pm

i try to buy veggies,meat etc from local sources.i also grow some veggies of my own.have some leeks free to take awy if anybody wants some.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zac Sun 18 Oct 2009, 10:46 am

I buy locally as much as I can - however one High Street shop tried ("try" is not the best word to use here!!) to sell me a "cheap" Garmin sat nav - when I pointed out a possible error on the price sticker (the item was over £100 more than in UK retailers), I was told that the price was correct and that was that! So I voted with my feet and purchased from the UK for £76!

That sort of service and silly pricing, does nothing to help the image of honest, local trades trying to earn a crust and employ local people.

Zac

Male
Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by stan Mon 19 Oct 2009, 1:32 pm

I trust that the Chamber of Commerce and its members will not be booking any conferences, Christmas dinners, Summer balls etc at the St Pierre Park then. This place has just been tarted up using only UK contractors. I don't think that the locals were even asked to price the work.

Guess they're just following the States' lead here though as Castle Cornet and Wheadon House are currently receiving makeovers provided by UK firms too. The local building labourers looking for work must find it a bit hard to swallow as they go in and out of ETW House and see who is working there.

stan

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Mon 19 Oct 2009, 11:04 pm

stan wrote:I trust that the Chamber of Commerce and its members will not be booking any conferences, Christmas dinners, Summer balls etc at the St Pierre Park then. This place has just been tarted up using only UK contractors. I don't think that the locals were even asked to price the work.

Guess they're just following the States' lead here though as Castle Cornet and Wheadon House are currently receiving makeovers provided by UK firms too. The local building labourers looking for work must find it a bit hard to swallow as they go in and out of ETW House and see who is working there.

BUT Stan.St.Pierre Park Hotel is listed as a current member of the Chamber of Commerce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So where does that leave us? Buy local and help our island recover from the downturn 232852
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by stan Tue 20 Oct 2009, 8:10 am

Maybe the SPP should be kicked out of the CofC too then? Don't know if this is a realistic prospect but it seems hypocritical to keep them at the table.

stan

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jigman Tue 20 Oct 2009, 4:24 pm

Also the GFSC should look to keep it here and not use UK consultants, architects & suppliers for their new offices!!!
Jigman
Jigman

Male
Number of posts : 20
Job/hobbies : Work cause I have to!
Humor : when its needed.
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down