www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

2 posters

Go down

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Empty The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Post by GD Fri 30 Oct 2009, 11:38 am

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Guernsey_Literary

Strange old days for Guernsey. The literary buzz seems to be a quirky little book started by an American and finished by her relative about an island that the original author hadn’t even heard of until she visited England. Still with me?

In the vast world of American book clubs, ground up, driven by the Internet the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is this year’s phenomenon.

The novel is set in 1946 and is in the form of letters, mainly to and from the central character, Juliet Ashton, a successful writer who becomes, wholly coincidentally, involved with a group of people on Guernsey who lived through the wartime German Occupation.

Looking at the publishing figures the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society has sold an incredible 2million books in America and heading for 250000 in the UK. Out of nowhere Guernsey has been put on the literary map.

And on the subject of maps the Submarine team have utilised there skills to create a Google Map of the book! On the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Google Map the team have created pins for every mention of a Guernsey locale. Most of the book seems to have been written in or around St Peter Port and St Martin’s and the map provides an interesting insight into how the book developed.

In the main the localities for the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society seem accurate making mention of the famous Little Chapel, Jerbourg and Fermain and historical notes on St Peter Port the Pollet and the High Street.

So here it is. The first Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Google map in glorious technicolour.
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

If you have any feedback on how we could develop this or, have comments on errors or omissions please feel free to get in touch with Submarine. Link at the bottom.
http://www.submarine.gg/

(from icom)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Empty Re: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Post by KiwiG Fri 30 Oct 2009, 11:47 am

Talk about coincidence, I am reading it at the moment.

I had heard a lot of negative feedback, so had decided not to bother with it.

It is an absolute delight and so unusual, written totally as letters too and fro from the main characters.

The wit and the irony and insight are brilliant.

Heartily recommend!
KiwiG
KiwiG

Male
Number of posts : 806
Humor : I think............if I don't thwim!!
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down