www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jobless figure hits new high

Go down

Jobless figure hits new high Empty Jobless figure hits new high

Post by GD Thu 19 Nov 2009, 5:46 pm

Jobless figure hits new high 00703072_cropped

Chief Minister Terry Le Sueur

THE number of Islanders registered as unemployed is likely to pass the 1,000 mark by Christmas – a figure that has been exceeded only once since the early 1990s.
The latest figures released today reveal that 997 people sought help from Social Security to find a job in October. However, that number is likely to increase significantly over the coming weeks as the impact of recently announced redundancies is felt.
Jersey Telecom has signalled that it intends to lay off 80 staff, while Jersey Water is letting 20 employees go. And Chief Minister Terry Le Sueur said that he could offer no guarantees that things were going to get better in the short term.
‘I do not have a crystal ball,’ he said. ‘I am not going to give false optimism because we always said that we were in a period of economic decline and that it would hit Jersey later than it has hit other places. This level of unemployment, particularly at this time of the year, was not unexpected. (from JEP)

Wait until January/February....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down