www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware falling acorns!

2 posters

Go down

Beware falling acorns!  Empty Beware falling acorns!

Post by Digger Wed 13 Oct 2010, 6:40 pm

Health and safety lunacy reaches new peak with warning sign

They are so tiny that surely it would take an entire avalanche to hurt anyone but acorns have become the latest subject of ridiculous health and safety warnings.Signs warning people about falling acorns outside a hospital in Essex 'just to be on the safe side' have prompted snorts of derision from visitors.They were prompted when one visitor to Brentwood Community Hospital trod on one of the little nuts and twisted their ankle.The signs declare 'CAUTION, PLEASE BE AWARE OF FALLING ACORNS.'
Beware falling acorns!  Article-0-0B98EA08000005DC-952_468x311
Taking no chances: Signs outside Brentwood Community Hospital warn visitors about the dangers of falling acorns
It comes just days after over-zealous council workers in a Suffolk park warned about the dangers of falling conkers.In Nottingham, a horse chestnut tree was stripped of conkers after a girl was hit by a branch thought to have been thrown by children. But patients at the Essex hospital are incredulous. Stephen Collins, 50, said: 'I think it's absolutely conkers, it's nuts.'I'm actually being seen at the hospital for an acorn-related concussion,' he joked.
Andrew McGowan, 28, who was visiting a patient, added: 'It's health and safety madness really. It's gone completely over the top.
'You don't need a sign to warn you about things falling from the tree, it's happens at this time of year, and you can see conkers and acorns on the floor.
'I suppose they are worried that if someone has an accident they will sue. It's sad really.'
Beware falling acorns!  Article-0-0B98E9E4000005DC-996_468x675
Watch out, acorns falling: The offending tree outside the hospital
The oak was chosen as the national tree of England for its strength and endurance and was given Royal recognition when King Charles II hid in the boughs of an oak to escape an execution attempt.Brentwood Community Hospital has a number of old oak trees on the site and even has even named a health unit - Oakwood Place - after the historic trees.
A spokesman for the hospital said: 'We had an incident in September last year when someone slipped on an acorn.
'Our groundsmen now sweep acorns up and they have put the signs up just to be on the safe side.'

Beware falling acorns!  Article-1320214-0B842516000005DC-209_472x311
Visitors to the Abbey Gardens in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk have also been warned of falling conkers#

I thouhgt all this had come to an end .

Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Beware falling acorns!  Empty Re: Beware falling acorns!

Post by Thistle Wed 13 Oct 2010, 7:11 pm

elf and safety strikes again lolx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down