www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten generation: 11 to 16 year olds

2 posters

Go down

Forgotten generation: 11 to 16 year olds Empty Forgotten generation: 11 to 16 year olds

Post by GD Fri 27 May 2011, 7:47 pm

A brand new charity is hoping to help 11 to 16 year olds, a generation that it believes is forgotten by society.

'Young People Guernsey' say that young people have little to do and a lack of support.

Until recently young people in Guernsey had their own cafe, called Deecaf, but even that has closed.

Jane St Pier, from Young People Guernsey, said: "Young people have all kinds of issues. There's lot of family break-ups nowadays, bullying, self-esteem. So we'd like to open a centre that has professionals within it that can offer any kind of help, be it a bus timetable, you're worried about your sexuality, you're worried about pregnancy, maybe you can't get internet access to do your homework."

They have spoken to dozens of groups in the island who deal with young people who all say such a centre will help. The plan is to raise £100,000 and work with experts from Barnardo's in the UK to make sure the advice and support they give is the best.

Charlie Cox, from the Youth Service, said: "Growing up there's so much pressure on the island at the moment that having one centre where they can go for everything will be a brilliant thing, I think. There are many pressures on young people, like exams, before that, getting in secondary school, big schools, new environment, new friends, trying to make the right choices is so difficult and you know people do forget that, I think, on the island."

The charity Young People Guernsey is already planning its first big fundraiser, a local version of the popular Pride of Britain Awards - which they're calling The Pride of Guernsey, which will take place later this year.

It is hoped their work will make growing up in Guernsey a less bewildering experience for young people, with the aim of proving there really is no such thing as a bad child. (from CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Forgotten generation: 11 to 16 year olds Empty Re: Forgotten generation: 11 to 16 year olds

Post by kat Fri 27 May 2011, 9:16 pm

I wish them good luck as they have certainly put a lot of thought and time into this already .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down