www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sark bans smoking in pubs but not offices or churches

2 posters

Go down

Sark bans smoking in pubs but not offices or churches Empty Sark bans smoking in pubs but not offices or churches

Post by GD Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

Sark's government has voted to ban smoking in pubs from 1 August.

Conseillers voted in favour of the move by 16 votes to 6 at the mid-summer meeting of Chief Pleas on Wednesday.

The ban will affect pubs, bars and restaurants but islanders will still be able to light up in shops, offices, workshops and places of worship.

Conseiller Paul Armorgie, a member of the island's medical committee, said: "The last thing Sark needs is the nickname 'the ashtray of Europe'."

'Idiosyncratic ways'

He said: "Having a reputation for being the last smokers' paradise is not necessarily the most enviable reputation to have in the world."

"It's the removal of one of Sark's delightfully quirky little idiosyncratic ways but I think you can no longer ignore the international medical evidence."

Chief Pleas also decided to allow £20,000 from the Dame Sibyl Hathaway Trust to be used for the restoration of the chapel at La Seigneurie Gardens.

However it was decided not to allow the site to become a museum, as had been proposed.

Instead it will be used for "charitable purposes" and may be made available for wedding ceremonies. (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Sark bans smoking in pubs but not offices or churches Empty Re: Sark bans smoking in pubs but not offices or churches

Post by karma Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:56 am

Puts a new connotation on the meaning of Holy smoke lol!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down