www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds

+2
Thistle
GD
6 posters

Go down

Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds Empty Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds

Post by GD Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

Guernsey's bus service has been criticised by a number of
islanders for being inadequate.

The comments were made in focus groups designed to establish a minimum living
wage - what people need to earn to enjoy an acceptable standard of living.

Dr Noel Smith, a Loughborough University researcher, said people he spoke to
said public transport was not a workable alternative to owning a car.

He said reliability and access were issues that had been raised.

Dr Smith said: "Groups in Guernsey said if you had to rely on buses that you
would be at risk of not being able to access employment.

"There was a view that buses didn't reach all places and certainly didn't
reach all places at times that people needed to get [to work]."

He said he had been surprised by the criticism in such a small island. (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds Empty Re: Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds

Post by Thistle Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:23 am

i am not in the least bit surprised ..the early morning bus service in the outer parishes is diabolical
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds Empty Re: Guernsey bus service 'unworkable' research finds

Post by kat Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

We need more bus drivers .. as i am told they work too long hours now and are expected to cover for the tour buses as well .
Yes we do need earlier busses out the other side of the island ,but how many would use them
perhaps we should have a bus garage the other side of the island as well this would mean the first bus ride of the day can be much earlier as they are already out there .saying money in fuel as well.
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

"perhaps we should have a bus garage the other side of the island as well
this would mean the first bus ride of the day can be much earlier as
they are already out there .saying money in fuel as well."

Uh, assuming that the scheduled driver for that run lives out there near the garage.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

Not all live with in the bus garage in town as well .
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

I traveled on not one but two buses last week , that was the first time since they were Grey.........lol , not knowing the times i looked the time table on line i was not warned that you needed a degree to sort it out . As i was catching my first outside the Carlton there were quite a few to chose from , so went to the stop after a short wait (you won't believe this but its true ) there was two yes two one behind the other the bloke who was at the stop was obviously a pro as he said it always happens two different routes apparently . so far so good until i boarded WHO designed the seating plan what happened there , then the onward ride , well i am convinced my driver was partially sighted as he just could not see passengers waiting until he was about two feet away then we came to a instant stop , when we sat back down and the other passengers got on the same process happened at each stop .

I got into town in record time ( this particular bus had no governor of that i am sure ) i went to catch one to the bridge ( i know i am a hero ) that one was better apart for a bit of lane surfing and getting knocked around with the odd pushchair oh and having to listen to all the female problems that a couple of young mothers had , i got to my destination to pick up my car from the garage .............Bliss back in the car peace and quite and being able to stop without getting launched out my seat .

Must try harder Island Coachways .

Seriously who designed the seats , whats wrong with simple bus seats ...oh forgot its Guernsey nothing simple .

Last edited by Digger on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling again !!)
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

How on earth can it be difficult to design and run an adequate bus service on such a small Island ?

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:39 am

maybe you should popover and show them how to do it kingcole...they seem to spend a lot on consultancy for most things these days...might be worth the trip over for you lol
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:34 am

We will put yiou name forwards .you will also have to talk multi language .as bus drivers are not all local.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

I wish the man that gives out the information had the right ones
i phoned in this morning asking if the buses were running along la vrangue .as my elderly auntie was with me and needed a bus to town
i was told yes they were all running
she waited for an nearly an hour and nothing .lucky a kind lady stopped and gave her a lift into town .
i am now making a complaint!..
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

compliant made and a reply already from the man i spoke to
he admitted giving me the wrong information and has made a full apology..end of story now move on!...
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

good for you kat xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down