www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots

2 posters

Go down

From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots Empty From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots

Post by GD Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

On Thursday evening, Mark Duggan was shot dead in by police officers in Tottenham. The IPCC immediately announced they would investigate; unusual for an organisation known for its inefficiency. The media were told that a non-police issue firearm had been recovered from the scene, and that one of the police officers had been injured. Later reports revealed a bullet found lodged in a police radio.

But it turned out that it was in fact a police bullet lodged in that radio. Presumably, ‘friendly fire’. The recovered firearm was in a sock. Mark Duggan didn’t fire a single shot. Another man executed at the hands of the police, and more misinformation from the IPCC.

On Saturday night, I was eating dinner at a friend’s house when news of clashes with police in Tottenham filtered through. Twitter was our main news source, and phone calls confirmed that riot police were being deployed in the area. Earlier that evening, the family of Mr. Duggan and local residents had protested outside Tottenham police station. Two
days had passed, and they had received no explanation for his death. In similar fashion, their demonstration and demands for answers were ignored.

More people gathered, and frustration grew. Days earlier, Haringey council had announced the closing of eight out of the 13 youth clubs in the borough. Now, a man had been shot dead in the street, and no-one seemed to care.

This is the context we are told to ignore. These riots have nothing to do with the death of Mark Duggan. These riots have nothing to do with rising unemployment. These riots have nothing to do with the cuts to education and youth centres. Simply mindless violence, we are told.

When I arrived in Tottenham, I could see a huge fire at the other end of the main road. Police officers had cordoned off a large area, and were being occasionally pelted with bricks and bottles in side streets. Fires were drifting dangerously close to nearby homes. It was we who directed fire engines when they arrived. When challenged on this, a police officer told us he was “here to protect the police”, not local residents. After all, this was Tottenham, not Westminster.

As the night progressed, another police car was set alight. The attention of the crowd turned to looting, and as I drove away, I saw scores of people walking in and out of JD Sports, piles of clothes in their hand. Did I sympathise with the people who saw their homes or corner shops damaged, yes. Did I sympathise with JD Sports, no.

If it is a question of where my solidarity lies, and the options are M&S and Footlocker versus young people in the streets, then for me there is only one answer. The following evening, Brixton erupted in similar disturbances. Footlocker, which is located roughly 150 metres away from Brixton police station, was the first to be raided. For the first 25
minutes of looting, the police did nothing.

When they finally moved into action on Sunday night, people were not kettled, as in the student demonstrations, but forced further down the High Street. Looting continued with M&S, Vodafone, H&M and McDonalds all getting their windows smashed.

I received a torrent of abuse online for expressing support for the riots. I expect Martin Luther King got the same abuse when he said “A riot is the language of the unheard” as did Bob Marley for singing “That’s why we gonna be burning and looting tonight…” .
I’m sorry, but my solidarity does not lie with corporations making millions and their fully-insured smashed windows, it lies with human beings who lose their lives and their
families.

Further down Effra Road, crowds began to pour into Currys. Riot police with weapons attempted to push people away from the Tulse Hill end of Effra Road, but were forced to retreat towards Brixton under a hail of paving stones. Three polices vans sped away. For over an hour, a constant stream of plasma screens and other electronic goods were carried out of Currys. There was nothing the police could do.

However, if they want the rioting to stop, there is something extremely simple the police can do: stop killing people.

Of course random looting is not going to end police injustice. That would take far more organisation. But until justice is done, the language of the unheard will continue to be spoken.

Many are blaming the violence on criminal thugs. But it’s inequality and decades of oppression in under-privileged communities that lies at the heart of this. The causes of the riots are being swept under the rugs looted from Carpetright.

As long as police persist in seeing themselves as above the law, young people will carry on taking the law into their own hands.

A longer version of this comment piece can be read at Jody McIntyre’s blog Life on Wheels. From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots 6017041536_8ddfe5d01e
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots Empty Re: From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots

Post by kingcolemk Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

This is highly contentious, allegorical material. It is likely to inflame impressionable youths to even more violence and looting.

I assume that 'Life on Wheels' possibly refers to skateboarding, which would explain much of the attitude presented in the article.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots Empty Re: From Brixton to Tottenham, inequality lies at the heart of the riots

Post by GD Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

London descends into anarchy

Published in: Melanie's blog

|
As London descends into anarchy this evening, with disturbances, arson, looting and other criminality breaking out in one borough after another for the third night running, it is clear that this is organised disorder, with thugs being dispatched to provoke and escalate hooliganism and rioting from area to area through use of social media and apparently now, the more secure BlackBerries.

It also seems clear that this follows in a direct line from the disorders in recent years, such as we have seen at the G20 demonstrations or the storming of Conservative party headquarters over student fees, which again seemed to owe their violence to organised anarchist (if that’s not a contradiction in terms) and revolutionary leftist groups. This is almost certainly because of the near-delirious belief among such groups that, with the western economy in meltdown and the political class and the police discredited and disdained, Britain is on the cusp of a revolutionary moment. So they hijack specific protests or demonstrations in order to smash up property, police officers and anything or anyone deemed to represent the established order in order to bring about the End of Capitalism As We Know It.

What we are seeing, in the sluggish and unprepared reaction of the police and political class to these events, compounded by their serial failure to grasp from previous such disturbances just what is going on here, is a catastrophic combination of professional inertia and incompetence, serial eyes off the ball, paralysing political correctness, an apparent reluctance to identify, name and deal with subversive activity, a capital’s police force in systemic disarray, a criminal justice system that has become an insulting joke, a refusal from the top to draw clear lines in the sand and to exercise moral and political leadership, a pandering instead to mob rule, tyro politicians who have never had a grown-up job and couldn’t run the proverbial whelk-stall let alone get a grip on a culture teetering on the edge of the cliff, a third-rate civil service machine that no longer can be relied on to keep the show on the road, a culture of narcissistic selfishness on an epic scale and a general breakdown in education, morality and elementary codes of civilised behaviour, much of it deliberately willed on for the past three decades by a grossly irresponsible and politically motivated intelligentsia that set out to smash the west.

And now London is being smashed as a result.

Link to melanie blogg
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down