www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician

+5
falcon
kingcolemk
GD
9 posters

Go down

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician Empty Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician

Post by GD Mon 12 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Channel Television has obtained an email from a leading politician saying it's only a matter of time before armed police are a regular sight on the streets of Guernsey.

It follows a public debate over whether the police force was right to spend nearly £200,000 on an armoured Land Rover, which was delivered to the island last week.

Deputy John Gollop is the chairman of the Legislation Select Committee, a body which scrutinises the island's laws.

His email says: "We have a very crazed and violent society that requires hardline zero tolerance American city style policing. I suspect within a few moons we will see officers with guns and tazers on regular patrol."

And those words are all to do with whether the police force should have spent £183,000 on a new armoured Land Rover.

Guernsey's was bought a year ago, but it only arrived in the island a few days back, sparking strong views from islanders:

"Am I allowed to swear. A load of ****. This is Guernsey and we just don't need it."

"I just feel it gives the wrong impression. Guernsey's such a lovely community and I just feel sad."

Guernsey's Home Department which has responsibility for the police force denied there was any plan at all to put armed police on the streets as standard.

But given the words in the email, and the reaction of islanders to the armoured vehicle, there is a worry the Land Rover is the thin end of the wedge.
(From CTV)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician Empty Re: Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

Police in London, Manchester, Liverpool etc etc are not armed so why the hell would they be openly armed in Guernsey that has minimal violent crime and no notably gangs. Gollop needs to have a reality check.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician Empty Re: Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician

Post by karma Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:59 pm

Oh dear! John has finally flipped affraid

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

Seems to be the silly season for news in Guernsey lately. That's three silly comments by aspiring States members in as many days.

Is it always like this just before an election.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:07 pm

If you think these comments are silly - wait until they have been voted in lol!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:32 am

The really scary thing is that the comment makers do not think the comments are silly.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by falcon Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:39 am

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician Tank

falcon

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-21

http://www.my-gsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:18 am

That is brilliant.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:07 am

Spirit wrote:That is brilliant.

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

Reality check folks.Methinks our John's sense of humour has fooled you.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:34 am

UK News is talking about Water Cannon..... Has Guernsey ordered one yet? confused
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

they have prob ordered two .lol
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by falcon Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

Armed police 'only a matter of time', says politician Policeoldlady

falcon

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-21

http://www.my-gsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

lol!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

love it pmsl xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Guernsey's Home Minister is defending a decision to spend almost £200,000 on an armoured Land Rover for the island's police force.

There's been a huge public response to the purchase, triggered by the arrival of the vehicle last week.

The statement from Deputy Geoff Mahy follows Channel Television's revelation that one politician, Deputy John Gollop, is predicting armed police could be the norm on the streets of Guernsey in the future.

Deputy Mahy said: "Fifteen months ago the Home Department considered a package of measures to ensure the firearms unit was equipped to deal with current and future risks that may require the response of a firearms unit and equally to ensure officers had the ability to contain, secure and bring to a safe conclusion any incident where firearms were being used in anger.

History spanning over a decade has seen almost a frequency where a lone domestic active shooter has taken deadly action against members of the public. These incidents have largely taken place in quiet and tranquil locations, both in the UK and further afield.

Whilst Guernsey remains a predominantly safe place to live, it is not divorced from equal levels of mental health, domestic violence and alcohol abuse experienced elsewhere. It is equally naive to consider that Guernsey is not totally free from any terrorist threat, neither should the Island present itself as a soft target should any group or individual seek to make statement by this means of action.

The Home Department studied these risks in full with the associated business case submitted by the Chief Officer of Police and unanimously made a decision to purchase a package of equipment to mitigate those risks."

The minister went on to point out that in the event of police officers in the firearms unit having to approach a dangerous member of the public who is in possession of a dangerous firearm it is important that police have maximum protection.

Deputy Mahy said: "The police do not shape the undesirable changes of society; however it is important if we are going to protect our community that we are best prepared by ensuring those that we have charged with the operational responsibility to do so are afforded the correct support and standards of equipment in doing so.

By upgrading the firearms unit the Home Department took a view that this was a responsible and correct decision to make. It did this using the correct evidence based methodology to support a formal business case. We hope that such incidents dont occur but we hope the police are equipped should they occur."
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

I take it that he isn't standing again for the States.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

At last an intelligent statement that makes sense.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down