www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s GST from the cradle to the grave

4 posters

Go down

It’s GST from the cradle to the grave Empty It’s GST from the cradle to the grave

Post by GD Thu 12 Jun 2008, 8:08 pm

ISLANDERS now know all too well that very few things we buy are exempt from the dreaded GST.
Arguments have already been made in vain for food, children’s clothing and other things to be free of the tax.
However, one very important issue might have been overlooked by politicians until now – whether GST should be levied on expenses incurred when a loved one dies.
The matter has been raised by Cliff Godel, of Gorey, whose wife, Rosina, of 50 years died in April.
He has just received a quote for a polished granite headstone, with matching rails and covering slabs, and was disgusted to see that the total figure included around £100 of GST. He is now calling for a change in the law so that families are not hit by the tax when they are feeling at their lowest after the death of someone close to them.
‘It is the principle of it,’ he said. ‘I don’t want other families to find themselves in the position I am in now. That is why I am fighting it.
‘I have been in touch with my parish deputy, Caroline Labey, who is going to try and do something about it. I am sure I will not be able to escape the tax, but in future people will not be able to find that sort of money.
‘I am lucky, as I had some money saved. I did not want to have my wife’s grave just left. After 50 years of marriage, I thought that she deserved to have a fitting memorial.’ (from thisisjersey)

Tax you to death and beyond....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

It’s GST from the cradle to the grave Empty Re: It’s GST from the cradle to the grave

Post by Digger Thu 12 Jun 2008, 8:39 pm

I wish you would keep quite about GST GD before one of our lot read this and think it would be a good idea to have it here. I might be missing something here but is it not the case that the Channel Islands are supposed to be tax free that was the attraction for the tourists. The Jersey people are being conned and i feel sorry for them.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

It’s GST from the cradle to the grave Empty Re: It’s GST from the cradle to the grave

Post by Troy McClure Fri 13 Jun 2008, 6:04 pm

Digger wrote:...The Jersey people are being conned and i feel sorry for them.

How are the Jersey people 'being conned'?

GST is a fact of life, taxes need to be collected to pay for all the services people expect a government to supply. Where exactly is the great con in that?

Sure you can argue that a government aren't managing the control of spending the monies raised, but that is a very different argument to GST being a 'bad' or 'unfair' tax.

---

As for Cliff Godel's problem with GST being charged on his wife's memorial, again what's his problem? is the stone mason not charging him for a service? is the stone supplied not a physical good?

He says people shouldn't be charged tax when they are feeling low: would he expect to avoid paying income tax in the year of a loved one's death? does he expect to avoid GST on his shopping during his period of mourning? did he claim the £600 tax free Death Grant from the States.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Fri 13 Jun 2008, 6:25 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Digger wrote:...The Jersey people are being conned and i feel sorry for them.

As for Cliff Godel's problem with GST being charged on his wife's memorial, again what's his problem? is the stone mason not charging him for a service? is the stone supplied not a physical good?

He says people shouldn't be charged tax when they are feeling low: would he expect to avoid paying income tax in the year of a loved one's death? does he expect to avoid GST on his shopping during his period of mourning? did he claim the £600 tax free Death Grant from the States.
Wow you certainly have a lot of sympathy or someone who has just lost their loved one!
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:24 pm

I do. What are you saying, that my sympathy over one issue should let calls to needlessly amend a perfectly good tax go unanswered?

Would you be sympathetic to the fact that, for reasons beyond my control, I'm prevented from claiming the Income Support I'm entitled to, which has left me thousands of pounds in debt and in ongoing financial crisis?

If yes, which taxes would you exempt me from?

If there's two certainties in this world it's death and taxes, there shouldn't have been any surprise to find the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:55 pm

What i was saying the islands were and sometimes still are advertised as being TAX FREE which they are not anymore.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Fri 13 Jun 2008, 8:08 pm

Digger wrote:What i was saying the islands were and sometimes still are advertised as being TAX FREE which they are not anymore.

Well I would advise you not to believe the vast majority of what advertisers tell you!

There is one particular shop in St Helier, Hallmark Cards, that put huge signs up stating they were/are not charging GST... but they are. Amazingly they're being heralded in the local paper as 'heroes'.

It's misleading advertising, but sadly an amazing number of people will fall for it, and possibly even more sad is that I think they themselves believe it to be true, and they just don't understand GST.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Sun 15 Jun 2008, 3:48 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Digger wrote:What i was saying the islands were and sometimes still are advertised as being TAX FREE which they are not anymore.

Well I would advise you not to believe the vast majority of what advertisers tell you!

There is one particular shop in St Helier, Hallmark Cards, that put huge signs up stating they were/are not charging GST... but they are. Amazingly they're being heralded in the local paper as 'heroes'.

It's misleading advertising, but sadly an amazing number of people will fall for it, and possibly even more sad is that I think they themselves believe it to be true, and they just don't understand GST.
Yeah like some say VAT free but that is the same bullshit
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Sun 15 Jun 2008, 11:27 pm

Pegasus wrote:...Yeah like some say VAT free but that is the same bullshit
Well they are actually VAT free at least.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down