www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey is ‘behind times on disability issues’

2 posters

Go down

Guernsey is ‘behind times on disability issues’ Empty Guernsey is ‘behind times on disability issues’

Post by GD Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:35 pm

THE island is 20 years behind the UK when it comes to dealing with disability issues, according to one property owner.

John Millns was speaking after a planning appeals tribunal dismissed his challenge to a planning refusal to let him create vehicular access to his home.

His father is wheelchair bound and his mother suffers from dementia.

His home has no vehicular access and is on a different level to the road.

He said the planning authority was oblivious to disability issues.

‘There’s no law, no concern and no interest, not just here but all over the island and it all stems from planning.’
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey is ‘behind times on disability issues’ Empty Re: Guernsey is ‘behind times on disability issues’

Post by kingcolemk Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:20 pm

He is right. For example there are few, if any, kerb ramps anywhere in Town or the Bridge, making wheelchair and scooter use difficult. Shortage of disabled parking spaces and inadequate supervision of those few that there are. ( Especially Church Square and the Tourist Information Office ) No concession for yellow line parking ( In the UK a blue badge holder is allowed to park for up to 3 hours on a yellow line. Provided they are not causing an obtruction. )

I accept that there is little that can be done about building access in existing buildings, but is there any thought given to this in new buildings ?

There are also some places on the coastal paths that are difficult or impossible for wheelchairs and scooters. Obviously I am not here referring to the South coast path, but the level parts of the coast.

So yes, Guernsey could do better.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down