www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Islander wants road safety charity

Go down

Jersey Islander wants road safety charity Empty Jersey Islander wants road safety charity

Post by GD Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:41 am

A road safety campaigner is keen to set up a Jersey charity dedicated to road safety.

Paul Newman says it would be focused on raising funds to increase awareness of important issues and support those who have been affected by road collisions.

It is a cause Mr Newman cares deeply about having lost his sister, Ellen, in an accident seven years ago.

She was walking along the pavement when she was hit and killed by a driver using his mobile phone.

He subsequently helped set up the 'Hands Off' campaign which focused on that type of offence.

But now he wants to set up a charity dealing with more wide ranging issues.

Mr Newman said: "It (road safety) is something that's not been taken seriously for a long time - I mean the public as well - road safety involves every single person on this island and that's who we're really appealing to and reaching out to."

The idea has gained support from a 16 year old girl who was hit by a car whilst crossing the road three years ago in St Clement.

Niamh Martins suffered a broken ankle and severe bruising - her ankle has still not fully recovered. She said: "I think it's an excellent idea. I wish I had something like that when I was going through my accident."

Whether the charity gets established depends largely on public and financial support.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down