www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pupils may not get safe route

+2
kat
GD
6 posters

Go down

Pupils may not get safe route Empty Pupils may not get safe route

Post by GD Fri 22 Aug 2008, 8:12 am

Campaigners for a safe walking route to Guernsey's new schools say time is running out.

A mainstream secondary and special needs secondary will open at Les Nicolles in a fortnight.

The lanes around the schools are small and busy, and despite traffic calming measures, there are still fears about road safety.

Living Streets has been trying to establish a safe cross country path from St Peter Port for walkers and cyclists.

It has devised a route but needs financial support to make it viable (from CIonline)

Its Typical States, wait until someone gets badly injured or even killed before doing anything...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Pupils may not get safe route Empty Re: Pupils may not get safe route

Post by kat Fri 22 Aug 2008, 8:52 am

I have been walking the safe route with them .and it will need some wmoney to make this route safe ..
Although i was not in full agreement with all their plans
But there will not be hundreds of children walking to school as most will be driven by mum,or go on the school bus!
i think we will have to wait and see the outcome,i just hope driver will avoid that area for the first few months .until a safe route and regular buses get into action
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Fri 22 Aug 2008, 8:58 pm

I must confess I have no confidence in Living Streets. There are so many, many, many road safety issues here in Gsy and I feel this group are so obsessed with the issue at Les Nicolles all they have forsaken all else amd have fallen in the old trap of becoming a mouth peace for the gov instead of being independent. When we were kids we walked to school and the traffic was bad even then. Yes it is important that the route is safe but please lets not constantly winge about this subject day in day out. The parents and pupils are not stupid they will do all they can in protecting their children by making sure they get from A to B safely.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Fri 22 Aug 2008, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 22 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

There are many road issues .and we need to tell the Living streets about them as we are they ones who bring their agenda forwards
And by going to one of their meeting is the best way as it is then minuted and they can go from there.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Sat 23 Aug 2008, 6:30 pm

I've seen the system that has been implimented and drove it. Coming from St Sampsons Douzaine, its 1 way from the vinery towards les effards. Les effards towards Oatlands is 2 way with 2 speed bumps. there are also traffic signals at the entrance of the new school. I want to know why there are no speed bumps along the way from the vinery to the school. Its a race track accident waiting to happen!! loadsa room for my truck when i took it up there, and no traffic coming the other way. Recipe for disater, i mean i could've opened the truck up, but didnt. How many late mothers for work will drive their cars like its stolen up the 1 way system dropping their kids to school??

I have a great idea. Make it NO ENTRY school commuting times (8am-915am and perhaps 245pm-4pm) except delivery vehicles (schoolbound only or to service the prison or the garage), school buses and emergency vehicles only. Theres no need for any other traffic IMHO. What the hell happened to giving your kids a shang?
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 23 Aug 2008, 7:30 pm

been round that way today .an accident waiting to happen.as for the speed humps at the end somebody needs shooting for over ordering the tarmac.thats the only reason i can see for them to be that big
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 24 Aug 2008, 8:37 am

Kat, I disagree that the public set the agenda it should be a two way process but the group set their own by the level of commitment they place of road safety issues. I have contacted the group leader on numerous occasions and even spoken with her (sorry very nice lady but name escapes me) about many road safety issues and if I were honest all they are concerned about in my book is pleasing certain gov dept and members. The aim of a pressure group is dealing with all issues and not just one but the dilemma is if you jump in bed with the gov then you are led by the gov…….

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 24 Aug 2008, 9:40 am

How many meeting have you been to?
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 24 Aug 2008, 10:48 am

Just blame the States for putting the school there in the first place as they were told that there were issues with safety with the transportation of pupils and being within shouting distance of the prison from the outset but they knew better eh.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down