www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11

2 posters

Go down

Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 Empty Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11

Post by GD Mon 10 Nov 2008, 12:01 pm

Politicians in Alderney are to discuss giving the go-ahead for using tide-generated electricity.
The States is to debate giving an early licence to Alderney Renewable Energy at its meeting on Monday evening.
A slot has become available on the French electricity grid which would let Alderney sell power generated on the island back to the continent.
The meeting has been prompted because the French authorities need an answer by the end of the week.
Alderney has been investigating the possibility of harnessing its strong tidal flows for electricity since 2003 when a contract was signed with Alderney Renewable Energy to develop a scheme.
The island has one of the best and most accessible tidal power resources in Europe, a report from the UK's then-Department of Trade and Industry said.
The department has since been replaced by the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform. (from BBC News)

Last edited by GD on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 Empty Re: Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11

Post by Digger Mon 10 Nov 2008, 5:25 pm

This sounds great if it works lets hope they look into it properly and if it is viable then good luck to them.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 Empty Re: Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11

Post by GD Tue 11 Nov 2008, 12:05 pm

One of Alderney's politicians has resigned after the States voted to go-ahead with tide generated electricity.
At a meeting on Monday night States deputies agreed to speed up the introduction of 500 tidal turbines.
Supporters of the scheme claim it will mean cheaper electricity for islanders and help Alderney to become a "world leader" in renewable energy.
But Frank Dean resigned after the meeting, saying he felt the island was being rushed into the agreement.

Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 OAlderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 Start_quote_rb For a project of this magnitude the lack of information offers no credit Alderney States debate tide power plans & Deputy resigns UPDATE 19/11 End_quote_rb

Frank Walker, former Alderney States deputy

Three other deputies abstained from voting.
In a letter of resignation Mr Dean said: "For a project of such magnitude the lack of information and flow of ever changing information at this late date offers no credit."
Jersey, Guernsey and Sark are all working on tidal energy plans of their own.
The licence to produce wave power has been awarded to Alderney Renewable Energy.
A slot has become available on the French electricity grid which would let Alderney sell power generated on the island back to the continent.
'Accessible resource'
Monday night's meeting was prompted because the French authorities need an answer by the end of the week.
Alderney has been investigating the possibility of harnessing its strong tidal flows for electricity since 2003 when a contract was signed with Alderney Renewable Energy to develop a scheme.
The island has one of the best and most accessible tidal power resources in Europe, a report from the UK's then-Department of Trade and Industry said. (from BBC News)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Tue 11 Nov 2008, 5:56 pm

Fair play to Frank Dean for standing by what he believes , and three abstained so not quite as clear cut as it could have been.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Wed 19 Nov 2008, 8:33 pm

DAMAGING information about Alderney’s tidal power deal is being kept from the public, according to former States member Frank Dean.
‘The tip has been released, but the piece that would have done the damage has not. I have made it very clear to the other members that I won’t disclose what we all know. I have returned all the tidal power information I had in my possession to the States. The information I have will stay with me.’
A retired engineer, Mr Dean (pictured) was the only member to vote against every tidal power proposal at last week’s hastily-arranged States meeting. He resigned at the end of it.
Initially he said that was because proper political procedures had not been followed, but he has now said that Alderney States and the Alderney Commission for Renewable Energy were hiding information from the public.
‘I could not abandon other principles that I have and I could not ignore all the hidden information. I could also not ignore the consequences that are likely,’ he said. (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down