www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies

3 posters

Go down

Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies Empty Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies

Post by GD Fri 08 May 2009, 8:37 am

In general, microwaving did the best job of preserving antioxidant activity, [Dr. A. M. Jimenez-Monreal of the University of Murcia] and colleagues found. Corn was the exception, losing roughly 35 percent of its free-radical scavenging capacity after microwaving.

Boiling and pressure cooking generally caused the greatest loss of antioxidant capacity, with frying being a little better than these methods and a little worse than microwaving or griddle-cooking. "In short, water is not the cook's best friend when it comes to preparing vegetables," the researchers say.

So don't over boil the Veg, Microwave and get the best out of them...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies Empty Re: Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies

Post by Dell Fri 08 May 2009, 4:34 pm

What about steaming your veg? I have been cooking it that way for a number of years now as that was supporsed to be the best way or cooking and retaining the nuitriuiants.

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies Empty Re: Microwaving Beats Boiling for Veggies

Post by technophobe Fri 08 May 2009, 5:32 pm

Dell wrote:What about steaming your veg? I have been cooking it that way for a number of years now as that was supporsed to be the best way or cooking and retaining the nuitriuiants.

Sorry for this Dell, couldn't resist..........

You weren't "steaming" when you typed your post were you? That's one of the best typos that I've ever seen (nutrients)!!!!

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down