www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging

+3
kingcolemk
7 posters

Go down

Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging Empty Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging

Post by kiwis kitten Fri 29 May 2009, 1:37 pm

A TOWN trader is calling for an independent review into the Leale’s Yard Development over fears that the plans could serious damage St Peter Port businesses.
Tony Creasey, managing director of Creasey’s and chairman of the Chamber of Commerce retail sub-committee, believes St Peter Port trade could fade away if the St Sampson’s development goes ahead.
‘I am concerned about the scale of the development,’ he said.
‘My judgement is that it will impact Town trade. The States policy is to retain St Peter Port as the retail centre, but this would split shops between Town and St Sampson’s.’
A recent survey showed there were 41 empty shops in Town, and Mr Creasey believes this would rise if the development went ahead.
‘Nearly the entire retail space of St Peter Port could fit in the Leale’s Yard space,’ he said. ‘It could be very damaging for St Peter Port and lead to more empty shops.’

(from thisisguernsey)

What do you think?
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging Empty Re: Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging

Post by karma Fri 29 May 2009, 1:53 pm

IMO Mr Creasey appears not to welcome competition - he has had the run of town for a long time

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging Empty Re: Town trader fears Leale’s Yard build will be damaging

Post by kingcolemk Fri 29 May 2009, 2:06 pm

Mr Creasey is undoubtedly right. Don't need to be a genius to work that one out.

The need is to find the right balance. Say leisure and tourist trades in Town and domestic and business trades in St Sampson.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 29 May 2009, 2:16 pm

Rents have killed the town - even Shoestring is closing their town shop because the rent is 4 times higher than on the Bridge for about the same area of shop!!!! so that is a key problem that has to be addressed......or so Mr Perchard was quoted as saying in the GEP last night - and he is in the know.......

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 30 May 2009, 8:12 am

I suppoose Mr Creasey would be concerned if the trade moved to the Bridge. To be fair the Bridge is not killing the town. There is no Leales development at the moment but town is dying, as stated above it is probably the high rents not competition that is doing the damage. Hopefully competition in the way of new premises on the bridge will bring down rents in town so the town may even pick up.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 30 May 2009, 5:30 pm

i must say that Creasey is one of the shops who support the floral in town,if you do pop into the shop tell them how nice it look s
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 31 May 2009, 5:27 am

This project has been on the cards for years and some traders on the bridge look foward to it starting, some dread it,

St Peter Port has been dying for years mainly because of the rent costs, I see leale's yard as a natural trend like is happening all over the world, I dont know if it will be good or bad for the Town Traders but it will be liked by the public when its done.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Sun 31 May 2009, 9:07 am

What will be will be. Time will tell with this..............

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 31 May 2009, 9:20 am

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down