www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Island customs seize legal highs

4 posters

Go down

Island customs seize legal highs Empty Island customs seize legal highs

Post by GD Mon 07 Dec 2009, 1:16 pm

Guernsey Customs says it has made 18 seizures of so called "legal highs" since the ban on importing the substances was extended in November.
The herbs and chemicals are sold as an alternative to some illegal drugs.
It is now illegal to import or export any of the products for personal use, not just in commercial quantities.
Chief Customs Officer Rob Prow said so far the ban had worked and any attempted imports had resulted in seizures.
He said: "I think the complete ban has clarified the situation and has reduced the amount of the substances of this type that people are ordering and trying to get into the island."
The Health and Social Services Department said it had spent £400,000 during the first 10 months of 2009 on treating people who had developed depression, paranoia and psychotic symptoms as a result of taking the substances. (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Island customs seize legal highs Empty Re: Island customs seize legal highs

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 07 Dec 2009, 7:03 pm

Charli/Technophobe should read this, 400K for treatment due to legal highs is a big spend on something that apparently has no side effects.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Tue 08 Dec 2009, 8:08 am

Plimmerton

Can you show me a post of mine where I said there were no side effects?

If these products were taxed then the revenue would more than make up for the cost of treatment, as is the case with tobacco and alcohol.

As for Rob Prow saying any attempted imports had resulted in seizures, how on earth doea he know that? Is he seriously trying to say that Customs are aware of every single importation that is atempted?

Prohibition doesn't work. The war on drugs (legal and illegal) has been hopelessly lost. Sooner or (most probably) later, that will be realised and we can get on with the serious business of dealing with the problems that exist in a sensible way rather than sensationalising the issue with talk of ever longer sentences etc.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by killer Tue 08 Dec 2009, 2:36 pm

To say its banned its still very easy to get and its not that more expensive to what it was when it was legal

killer

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 08 Dec 2009, 3:06 pm

Island customs seize legal highs 0753888BANNING the importation of legal highs for commercial or private use has been hailed a success by Drug Concern.
The charity said the number of people seeking its help had shrunk in the last month since the ban on bringing substances such as Spice into the island for personal use had come into effect.
In April, Customs banned the importation of legal highs and followed that up with a ban on four particular types for personal use.
‘Since the ban came into action, Drug Concern has seen a significant reduction [more than 50%] of new contacts relating to emerging drugs of concern,’ said manager Tracey Rear.
‘I do believe the number of people using emerging drugs of concern has reduced since the ban, primarily due to the lack of availability of the substances compared to pre-ban.’ (from thisisguernsey)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by killer Tue 08 Dec 2009, 3:12 pm

What is Tracy Rear on the lack of availability, its easier to buy now it is banned and doesn't cost that much more, plus you get more as the packets are bigger.

killer

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down