www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy

4 posters

Go down

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy Empty Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy

Post by Dell Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:14 am

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy _49079136_janestephenspicture2008 Deputy Stephens said the States had to ensure equal rights for all

The only way of ensuring equal opportunity in Guernsey is to tackle disability discrimination, says one island politician.
Deputy Jane Stephens champions the cause of disabled people within the island's government.

She said outlawing discrimination would help islanders realise that people with disabilities do have the same rights.

Deputies are due to debate the priority and need for such a law at a strategic planning meeting in September.

There is currently no law covering disability discrimination in place in Guernsey.

From BBC News.

Is it time that we had equal opportunity laws? Do we need them? What do you think?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy Empty Re: Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy

Post by kat Sat 25 Sep 2010, 11:58 am

I would support this lady in this.,it is disgusting the way some disabled folks are treated in our island
we need laws to protect them all
perhaps they can start this in the court themselves as it is very difficult to get into the royal court for a disabled person and there are steps woth in the courts stopping someone who might have a disability from working with in this environment .
all the millions that was spent on this building and no one even gave a thought for anyone who might have a disability however small .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy Empty Re: Call for laws on discrimination from Guernsey deputy

Post by gsyguy Sat 25 Sep 2010, 2:38 pm

in the land of the blind the one who see's is king
i know devils advocate but,seeing as the disabled dont wish or shud i say live with their disability and most dont want or feel the need to be classed as disabled shud we? we the ones who dont have need for what ever that is wanted by those that say they do? i take it its wheel chair users who lack the access to these places?
the blind, deaf, one armed one legged,the mute do they need or get the same voice?

expect a lot of replies to this now
gsyguy
gsyguy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Job/hobbies : wet/dry/black/sometime down rite rude bnut most of all FUNNY
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

gsyguy no its not just wheelchair users .there are people unable to access places even though they can walk..going up steps with my daughter is almost impossible and she isnt a wheelchair user..
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 25 Sep 2010, 10:36 pm

i find steps very difficult as well and am in great pain when walking ,
so not all disabled folks are in wheelchairs .
we need someone like this deputy to support us at all levels of disability.
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 26 Sep 2010, 9:56 am

the disabled and their carers get a raw deal on this island..not enough respite,discrimination at all levels ..maybe some of our deputies should walk in the shoes of carers and people at all levels of disability x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down