www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’

+3
kat
Thistle
GD
7 posters

Go down

‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’ Empty ‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’

Post by GD Thu 13 Jan 2011, 8:15 pm

‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’ 1077325_175A REVIEW of Sunday trading laws should look at the bureaucracy surrounding the regulations, says a Bridge butcher who encountered major problems with red tape.
Charlie’s Family Butchers owner Charlie Le Poidevin (pictured) said delays in granting him a Sunday trading licence when he changed the name of his shop cost him more than £3,000 in lost trade.
Commerce and Employment Department said in its 2011 business plan that there would be a review of the legislation this year.
Mr Le Poidevin applied for a Sunday trading licence from the St Sampson’s constables when he took over the former Johns the Butchers shop late last year. But he had to wait more than a month for his application to be approved and could not open on a Sunday during that time. (from GEP)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’ Empty Re: ‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’

Post by Thistle Fri 14 Jan 2011, 7:36 am

maybe its time for guernsey to drag itself into the 21 st century and allow shops to open on a sunday .you only have to go to m&s in st martins to know that guernsey people do shop on sundays as the place is always packed to the rafters xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’ Empty Re: ‘Cut red tape from Sunday shops law’

Post by kat Fri 14 Jan 2011, 9:10 am

I hope the law is looked after and that those who are forced to work on a Sunday are well paid .
dont know why so many have to shop on this day .
the shops are open 6 days a week ans they are open until late at night.
the shops need time to close so that the place can be cleaned and restocked properly .
if the law is revisited and sunday shopping is a free for all ,gone will be the day when workers got extra money for these hours ,and it will happen
they are turning our island into a free for all
when i was away all shops were closed on a Sunday .
this is to respect those who want time with family and friends and need to recharged their batteries .
we all know that some places have to work like the hospital services but this is essential services .
i can think of better things to do then bloney shop

ps ..i hate shopping
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 14 Jan 2011, 9:31 am

I am not a God believing Church going person but I believe we lost something very special when Sunday became just another weekday.

It was a day of pause from the rat race, a day for family and leisure persuits, a day to recharge our batteries, a day to 'stop the world' and get off for a few moments of reflection on where our lives were going.

I miss it very much.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 14 Jan 2011, 10:17 pm

in some families the only day they can shop all together is a sunday x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 15 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

cant please all .there cant be that many that need to shop on a Sunday .
I would vote to keep this day for a family,and my family hates shopping anyway it is part of the household chores not entertainment for me.
And there are lots of shop who do not want to open on a Sunday but will be forced to if the ,law changes ,this would mean staff who want to spend time with their families having to work ,and if all are working no one can shop anyway .it will be only office and banks that dont open who will shop
and what you spend on a sunday you wont spend on a different day.
if it become a rat race there will be no weekend as such .as it will be the decline in the island .
there are lots of places that are not open on a Sunday .
if we do have a cruise ship in there are special licences for those shops who want open.
and not many do because it is not cost effective.as they have to pay staff extra time ..this would go if the Sunday was not a special day .
i would like to keep it as it is now .but only change the law as what you can sell .
then is someone wants to open they will have to ask permission
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sat 15 Jan 2011, 4:59 pm

The only people who seem to want this regulated are in the Douzaines.

Why should a few shops have this special status? Every other business on the island can trade on a Sunday, even a good proportion of shops can trade, so why do the rest need some sort of special protection? Why should a bunch of Douzeneers be our moral guardians?
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Sat 15 Jan 2011, 5:02 pm

My view has always been to keep Sundays special.BUT if we allow trading on Sundays then let every business trade,if they so desire,without any of these nonsensical restrictions.(with protection for those workers who want to have that day off)

Yes I know workers in some industries have no choice but they knew that when they were employed.
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 15 Jan 2011, 6:31 pm

Spirit wrote:The only people who seem to want this regulated are in the Douzaines.

Why should a few shops have this special status? Every other business on the island can trade on a Sunday, even a good proportion of shops can trade, so why do the rest need some sort of special protection? Why should a bunch of Douzeneers be our moral guardians?

Because the Douzeniers are elected to do this .
if the people of the parish feel so strong about it they can always got o a parish meeting and tell the Constables and Douzaine what they think.but it would have to be a big agreement of parishioners to do this.
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Sat 15 Jan 2011, 6:40 pm

I have been to a few parish meetings and elections. It might be different in more civilised parts of the island, but out in the sticks, most Douzaine members are elected by only a handful of people, mostly sitting or former Douzeniers. Anyone who rocks the boat is given a hard time and made very unwelcome.

Sunday Trading, mutt licensing and hedge cutting are the main muscles that they have to flex and will not give them up without a fight.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 15 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

Then change it then ,the system can be updated if enough youngster stand for election with in the parish they live in
this is a start .
it need not be all hedges,dog tax ,there is so much more to be found with in the parish systems.
Or go to your Parish website [most updated parishes do have them]
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 16 Jan 2011, 8:07 am

shops should at least be given the choice of to open or close on a sunday..i often shop atm &s on a sunday and have yet to see any body standing with a whipover the staff or bosses in the shop..it all comes down to freedom of choice and staff can be given another day off if thats what they prefer...
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy Sun 16 Jan 2011, 8:17 am

In Austria the shops are closed on Sunday......and believe it or not it still works!
There is no reason to go shopping on a Sunday as everyone can go shopping after work or go to the late night shops.We need one day a week to relax and unwind and have a family day.No one will buy more just because the shops are open on a Sunday, they will just not go on a Friday or Saturday.Think about the poor staff who would rather be spending time at home with their family.
The Bridge butcher who claims to be losing out to the supermarkets is rubbish as a the meat from a butcher is much better( if not then he should consider a career change), so people will return after tasting the crap they sell at supermarkets. Rant
Alpy
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sun 16 Jan 2011, 5:28 pm

We went away as far as Austria .no shops were open in the three Sundays we were there .in Switzerland/Italy.France all were closed .the only thing that were open were cafes for refreshments .
Do you think Guernsey would attach more visitors if everything were open?
All it will add is the prices to go up to pay for the extra overheads of another day of trading
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down