www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown?

+6
kiwis kitten
Spirit
gsyguy
GD
10 posters

Go down

Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown? Empty Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown?

Post by GD Mon 07 Feb 2011, 6:35 pm

If you do, you must be at least in your 40s, because it was back in February 1971, 40 years ago, that Britain "went decimal" and hundreds of years of everyday currency was turned into history overnight.
On 14 February that year, there were 12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. The following day all that was history and the pound was made up of 100 new pence.

Some three years before "D-Day" or Decimal Day, new 5p and 10p coins were introduced. They were of the same size and value as the existing one and two shilling coins. Then in 1969, a 50p coin was introduced to replace the 10-shilling note. The 50p coin was referred to as a 10-shilling coin at the time.
On Monday 15 February 1971, the process was completed when the 0.5p, 1p and 2p coins were introduced and the old pennies were withdrawn.

One old coin that survived longer than expected was the sixpence. Worth 2.5p, it remained in circulation until 1980, after a public campaign to keep it.

Forty years on, those old coins are a distant memory for those in their 40s and beyond, and a puzzlement for those too young to have known them.
But pre-decimal pennies are still in use in one part of London where they have a vital role.
They are used to adjust the timing of the pendulum of the clock in the Clock Tower of the Palace of Westminster, commonly known as Big Ben

Many sayings and phrases in the English language relate to our old money.
Here are just a few:
"Spend a penny"
"You look like you have lost half a crown and found sixpence."
"A penny for your thoughts"
"It can turn on a sixpence"
"Bob-a-job week"
"Take the King's shilling"
(extracts from BBC)

40 years ago hard to believe...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown? Empty Re: Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown?

Post by gsyguy Mon 07 Feb 2011, 6:46 pm

i have a few of them coins,hummm ill snap a few pics n put them some where ???
ahh in the galary
gsyguy
gsyguy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Job/hobbies : wet/dry/black/sometime down rite rude bnut most of all FUNNY
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down

Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown? Empty Re: Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown?

Post by gsyguy Mon 07 Feb 2011, 6:48 pm

ps
even as an 11yr old thought it was strange to loose so many pennies to the pound
20 shillings to the pound 12pennies to one shilling hummm now only 100 to pound and the shilling became FIVE pence dont make sense hummm dodgy
gsyguy
gsyguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Mon 07 Feb 2011, 7:33 pm

Before my time.

Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown? Whistle
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Mon 07 Feb 2011, 8:36 pm

I can still remember farthings but can't remember if they were in circulation or curiosities my parents had.

PS Just checked and they were legal tender right up till 31stDec 1960 so I must have spent some in my time Do you remember the tanner, shilling, florin and half crown? 102870
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 07 Feb 2011, 9:24 pm

Yep - sure do....also Doubles (Guernsey Currency) 8 x Doubles to a One Penny

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Tue 08 Feb 2011, 7:28 am

I don't really remember them.. at school and we were taught decimal.......
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:15 am

I still tend to do a mental conversion in my head back to real money. Sad innit. Embarassed

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:30 am

I do as well :-)))))

I can remember in the dim distant past when my mother and I discussed pocket money...................she said the deal was I could either have 3 shillings a week - or alternatively I could have 6p a day.....bargain!!!! Only later in life did I find out that she couldn't really afford to give me 3 shillings all in one hit out of her housekeeping!!!!!!! so I benefited by taking it daily!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:55 am

Yes i do as well revert ba k to £ S D..then is horrified how much it really cost
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by gsyguy Tue 08 Feb 2011, 11:57 am

gsyguy
gsyguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 08 Feb 2011, 6:27 pm

i remeber them well...got quite a few lying around somewhere in the house...i convert back to real money too xxxx
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Tue 08 Feb 2011, 7:17 pm

I've been doing some charity work with the LIONS club which involves the collection and sorting of currency. Mates have been saying that I must be mad sorting this stuff but it has been great fun.

There has been loads of pre decimal currency including half crowns and thrupeny bits which brought back memories.

I was surprised that the colonies Aus', NZ, Fiji had very similar coins to the UK. Fiji actually had the old shape thrupeny bits. NZ and Aus had silver ones that are so small they must have hidden in the darkest fold of the pocket with all that fluff. Pennies and half pennies were the same just a different picture on the coin, either a bird or a big red.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down