www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guersey chief minister nominations open

+9
Deebay
kat
plimmerton811
Diddycoon
Peterr
Thistle
GD
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Guersey chief minister nominations open Empty Guersey chief minister nominations open

Post by GD Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

Nominations for Guernsey's chief minister, who will be elected on 1 May, can now be submitted.

To be able to stand for the position, deputies need to have served four of the last eight years in the States.

Of the 45 successful candidates at the election on 18 April, a total of 24 qualify for the job.

Potential candidates have until 16:00 BST on Monday to lodge their applications at the Bailiff's office in St Peter Port.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guersey chief minister nominations open Empty Re: Guersey chief minister nominations open

Post by GD Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

Lyndon Trott is first fully confirmed CM candidate.
Proposed by Perrot. Seconded by Jones

Second CM nomination in. Jonathan Le Tocq,
proposed by Gavin st Pier, seconded by Mark Dorey
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Guersey chief minister nominations open Empty Re: Guersey chief minister nominations open

Post by Thistle Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

lets hope we get a few more nominations..if not jon letocq should do the job
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterr Fri 20 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

What a shame about the daft rule which stops Peter Harwood being proposed. Any chance that could be suspended if enough deputies asked for it to be?

Peterr

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

I'm surprised Mr Trott feels he has a sufficient mandate to retain the top job when he only just scraped through the vote in his district.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

on this i totally agree with you kingcolemk ..how can he have the audacity to think that the people of guernsey actually want him to stand as chief minister x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

If by chance he gets in again (remember last time, he had the least votes from St Sampsons) then the 'new' states are definitely not au fait with the wishes of the electorate!!! This is the man who thought up and pushed through 0/10!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon Sat 21 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

I think Jon Le Tocq should be chief minister - should have a change at the top as well -
Diddycoon
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm

kingcolemk wrote:I'm surprised Mr Trott feels he has a sufficient mandate to retain the top job when he only just scraped through the vote in his district.

I agree. I am disappointed that Trott has not done resigned as Chief Minister if he is able to or declared that his votes were not enough to warrant his nomination. I think this shows the integrity of the man. In the past we have seen far to many local politicians fail to "fall on their swords", and if they do the point is never pointing up..

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:09 am

I think I may have found the answer KC

meg·a·lo·ma·ni·a   [meg-uh-loh-mey-nee-uh] Show IPA
noun

Psychiatry . a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc.
an obsession with doing extravagant or grand things.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:33 am

karma wrote:I think I may have found the answer KC

meg·a·lo·ma·ni·a   [meg-uh-loh-mey-nee-uh] Show IPA
noun

Psychiatry . a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc.
an obsession with doing extravagant or grand things.

On part two of the definition did you forget to write "especially using states money/funds"

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Apr 2012, 1:53 am

lol! I think that goes without saying - and there's a lot of them out there!! lol!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:55 am

2 Names For Chief Minister So Far

Deputies are being told not to make any behind the scenes deals when it comes to electing our Chief Minister.

The warning has come from the current Chief Minister.

So far Deputy Lyndon Trott and Deputy Elect Jonathan Le Tocq have been
nominated for the role.

Deputy Trott has emailed all the elected politicians and said the island
has called for change and the new states must deliver it.

He says there should be no behind-the-scenes deal-making and no private
meetings where jobs are promised - he wants the election process to be
transparent with the new States starting as it means to go on.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:02 am

Thats a first .. was he the one of them who gave dinner parties .
We should have a say in who stands for this after all they are representing us the island . even if we put the names up .
this would show how much support there is for IWV
but why do we need a chief minister we managed well enough before with out one .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:38 am

Well I bet he can't even spell the word transparent!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

the biggest comedy so far this year..
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

He has a new wife now so at least he will be able to entertain at home
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

Kat... You have a good point on the public having a say. They messed around with the government system and created the position of Chief Minister as part of the move to separate the legislature and the judiciary. Why not go one step further and make it more 'democratic' (is there such a thing as a democracy?) by having public elections for CM.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 23 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

Deputy-elect Peter Harwood’s nomination for the position of chief minister has not been accepted by the Bailiff’s office.

Under the current States rules, Mr Harwood, pictured, is not eligible to stand for the position since he has no experience as a States member. Four years within the previous eight is the minimum requirement.

A statement from the Bailiff’s office said that the nomination was received before the closing time of 4pm today, but ‘did not meet the criteria for eligibility as set out in Rule 20 (2A) of the Rules of Procedure of the States of Deliberation’.

He was nominated by Deputy Matt Fallaize and seconded by deputy-elect Paul Luxon.

It is anticipated that the States will discuss changing the rule governing the election of the chief minister to allow Mr Harwood to stand along with Jonathan Le Tocq and Lyndon Trott when the election is held on 1 May.
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

i should think so to..at least peter harwood has a lot more going for him than lyndon trott has
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:54 pm

Hope so otherwise Trott will trot off with the prime position again..........scary!!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Chief Minister hustings WILL be open to the public. Next Mon, 7pm to 9pm, Grammar School
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:20 am

Good morning Guernsey

Wanted to drop in and say hi to eveyone. I enjoyed particpating in this site in the lead up to the election.

I am dleighted the electors of the Castel had sufficient faith in me to chose me as one of their Deputies-Elect.

Regarding the election of our next Chief Minister - I believe we should have a free, fair and open vote - its called democracy. It is within the remit of States members to change a rule they believe is uneccessary, unfair and restrictive.

My understanding is the rule was introduced for the wrong reasons. Roffey Writes column in the Press clearly outlines the present position.

A big thank you to all those in this site who sent me both PM's and posted best wishes.

I have a good feeling - 'Things can only get better'

Just heard on Radio Guernsey Lyndon has withdrawn his candidature.

Sandra James

Female
Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Just keeping up with life
Humor : Weird and Wonderful
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Well done Sandra - I can only be sad that as I no longer live in Guernsey I will not benefit from the changes which are afoot but I applaud them from afar - I wish you well as you say things can only get better!!! well done you (and thank you for the news about Lyndon it gives real hope that change is indeed afoot)....

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:13 am

The big problem with this rule change is that it is only being brought in so that one person can get the position.

The question that needs to be asked is "If Peter Harwood did not want to be chief minister, would we change this rule?" If the answer is no, then the rule should stand.

Many locals, but more importantly the outside world will see this as nepotism and will harm the reputation of our elected assembly.

(I have nothing personal for or against any of the candidates.)
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next