www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion

4 posters

Go down

Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion Empty Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion

Post by GD Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

The role of championing disability has attracted interest from members of the next States, Guernsey Disability Alliance's (GDA) chairwoman has said.

Deputy Jane Stephens was the first politician to take on the role, but will step down following her election loss in St Sampson on Wednesday.

The GDA will choose a deputy who needs to be ratified by the Policy Council.

Shelaine Green, chairwoman of the GDA, said the champion would be asked to lead work on a new disability strategy.

'Tough act'

The strategy is expected to be debated later this year and will include legislation on respite care, benefits and housing.

Ms Green said the former disability champion, Deputy Stephens, would be a tough act to follow.

She said of Deputy Stephens' failed re-election bid: "The reaction from the members has been one of sadness more than anything.

"Jane was very, very well regarded by our members and she worked tirelessly for us."

She added: "Jane really carved the role out from scratch, because before this term the role didn't exist."

Deputy Stephens was appointed disability champion in March 2009.
(from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion Empty Re: Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion

Post by kingcolemk Sat 21 Apr 2012, 7:14 pm

Makes one wonder if many people actually know anything about the people they are, or are not, voting for.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion Empty Re: Guernsey Disability Alliance looks for new champion

Post by Thistle Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

we have manifestos from each candidate kingcole ..jane stephens willbe sadly missed a great campaigner and a lovely lady to boot
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:22 am

Manifestos should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Politicians will put anything they think you want to hear. I mean knowing people on a more personal level from their achievements, actions, abilities.

Just think how impossible this would be under IWV.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm

we need iwv as it stands at the moment i can only vote for whoever is standing in my district ..with iwv there would be a better chance of getting a more representative government..people wouldnt be voting for someone just cos they know themas they have lived near them and have known the family for years
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:30 am

IWV is a good idea but we will still need a parish reps in there or some parishes will loose out
and as how do we know folks .we are a island . and we have access to all our deputies personal details .we can phone them ,yext mthem even go and knock on their door when ever we want to
Most will answer you and give you their time .
So we do know who to vote for hence the reason tony webber did not get in and a new boy Joseph Irven did not not get past the door as the dirst has been dished on both and the islanders knew this .
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 01 May 2012, 12:52 pm

I have spoken to a number of people about this IWV idea, most of whom were enthusiatically keen on it. But not one of them, when asked, could even begin to tell me how they though it could be made to work.

So here's your chance, tell me.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 03 May 2012, 8:06 am

imo sandra james would make a wonderful champion for people with disabilities..
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down