www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

La Mare de Carteret schools redevelopment reviewed

Go down

La Mare de Carteret schools redevelopment reviewed Empty La Mare de Carteret schools redevelopment reviewed

Post by GD Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

A planned £59m redevelopment of La Mare de Carteret schools will only go ahead once the scope and cost of the project have been reviewed.

The independent review was suggested by Guernsey's chief minister and deputy chief minister over concerns about the scale and size of the plans.

The plans include secondary and primary schools, an autism centre and improved indoor and outdoor sports facilities.

Politicians voted in favour of the review by 26-18.

Some States members raised concerns the review would delay the rebuild, which is hoped to be completed before September 2017.

La Mare de Carteret is the last of the island's three high schools to be upgraded after St Sampson's High School - along with Le Murier School for children with learning difficulties - opened in 2008 and Les Beaucamps High School opened in 2012.

Education Minister Robert Sillars told the States "he'd like to apologise to all the students, parents and teachers that I have let down".

The review is due to be completed by March 2015 and a project board set up to oversee the redevelopment.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

La Mare de Carteret schools redevelopment reviewed Empty Re: La Mare de Carteret schools redevelopment reviewed

Post by GD Sat 29 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

Deputy Sillars, who issued a public apology for the decision by the States, said he was left ‘upset, hurt and sad’ for everyone at the high and primary schools, after warning deputies that the rebuild would be set back for at least a year.
Disappointment was clear among head teachers at both schools, who warned of the huge impact fresh delays would have.
Deputy Sillars vowed to meet today with officers to see if there was a ‘glimmer’ of hope of making urgent progress, as they face up to the prospect of the independent review. ‘I would like to apologise to all students, parents and teachers who have been let down,’ he said.
‘This means, as it stands today, an extra year for students working in a derelict building, which is not fit for purpose. While I’m very upset, hurt and sad for the students, parents and teachers, I ask myself is there a glimmer of hope we can get back on track and, if so, it is my duty to go for it.’
After over a day-and-a-half of impassioned debate, Education’s proposals were subject to two successful amendments. The first was from the chief minister seeking to add the extra review of the size, scope and specification of the design, following concerns from Treasury and Resources over value for money.
It was followed by an eleventh- hour amendment, led by Deputy Al Brouard, that aimed to ensure Education maintained some control over the proposals and would be responsible for returning to the States with the new report, following the review findings
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down