www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road check: Authorities clamp down

+2
Spirit
GD
6 posters

Go down

Road check: Authorities clamp down Empty Road check: Authorities clamp down

Post by GD Fri 29 Aug 2008, 2:05 pm

Two motorists stopped at a road check this week were not licensed to drive in Jersey. Both had been living and working in the Island for several years but had not taken up a Jersey driving licence.

Officers from Driver and Vehicle Standards and the Honorary Police of St John held the roadside check near St John’s Parish Hall on Wednesday.

Of the 651 vehicles that passed through, six owners were issued with defect notices asking them to fix the faults and present their vehicle for re-examination.

Defects included worn tyres, oil leaking onto the road, defective lighting, corroded bodywork and failure to notify the Inspector of Motor Traffic of a change of vehicle colour.

The St John Honorary Police warned 11 motorists for parish hall attendance for either displaying an expired windscreen insurance disc or the disc containing incorrect details. Another driver was reported for displaying an insurance disc issued to a different vehicle.

Inspector of Motor Traffic, Alan Muir, told Channel Online: "Generally, the standard of vehicle was good on this check. Our main problems today seemed to be owners who are careless at checking insurance documents and drivers who moved to the Island some time ago but have never exchanged their foreign licence for a Jersey driving licence and so end up driving illegally in the Island."

"I would remind any driver who has moved to the Island as a permanent resident or who is likely to be living and working in the Island for more than 12 months that they must obtain a Jersey driving licence if they wish to continue driving. Anyone who has been living in the Island for more than 12 months and continues to drive is breaking the law if they don’t have a Jersey licence. All employers should carry out checks regularly to ensure that employees are properly licensed to drive company vehicles." (from CIonline)

I am sure that there is quite a few drivers on Jersey & Guernsey who are "Non Locals" driving illegally....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Road check: Authorities clamp down Empty Re: Road check: Authorities clamp down

Post by Spirit Fri 29 Aug 2008, 2:44 pm

One in today's Press. Done in Court for it.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by steve 19 Sat 30 Aug 2008, 10:45 pm

I was stopped last night (friday) just leaving Gorey. My crime,,,,doing 38 in a 30 zone. I have to say the chap who spoke to me was very nice, he realised immediately that because i was driving a hire car, i was unsure of the limit. Fair play sir, you were very polite & understanding. Wish it was like that over here !!
steve 19
steve 19

Male
Number of posts : 1272
Job/hobbies : Motorsport
Humor : Hell yes
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:05 am

steve 19 wrote:I was stopped last night (friday) just leaving Gorey. My crime,,,,doing 38 in a 30 zone. I have to say the chap who spoke to me was very nice, he realised immediately that because i was driving a hire car, i was unsure of the limit. Fair play sir, you were very polite & understanding. Wish it was like that over here !!
Whenever I'm stopped and asked the brilliant question; "Does Sir know how fast he was driving?" I've taken to replying; "Yes, a reasonable and safe speed" The follow-up question is "Do you know what the speed limit is here" I answer; "I'm guessing it's unreasonable as you stopped me" The look of confusion amuses me :)

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaun The Sheep Mon 01 Sep 2008, 5:44 pm

regular speeder, are we???
Shaun The Sheep
Shaun The Sheep

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Mon 01 Sep 2008, 6:17 pm

Shaun The Sheep wrote:regular speeder, are we???
I do tend to drive faster than the posted speed limits, often without noticing as I look out at the road more than at my dashboard. People get way too worked up over the measurement of speed rather than the appropriateness of speed.

My sister is a great example of diligent speedometer watcher, never exceeding the speed limit regardless. She'll dawdle along the Five Mile Road at 40mph, then take the corner at the north end at 40mph too, where I'll drive faster where appropriate, but slow for corners and hazards.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Mon 01 Sep 2008, 6:48 pm

I was stopped a few weeks ago on a sunday. just popped to the bridge for my usual paper and sweets for the kids. Kids were strapped in properly and then the mother in law popped over to chat to me as she'd spotted me. I got out of the car for a quick chat and cig with her and then got back in the car. I drove off the bridge to the roundabout and started to put my belt on. A copper clocked me and stopped me on bulwer avenue, when he caught up. asked for my licence and insurance, so i said had licence at home and insurance was in the window. he explained the insurance disc was useless. proved car was insured, but not who was insured to drive and gave me a producer. As for the seatbelt, he gave me a verbal caution as i was putting it on leaving the bridge as opposed to putting it on before i started off. he let me on my way. i thought , what a nice copper. He was pleasant and i told him everything he wanted to know.

I believe its all down to attitude. I flouted the law in a sense, he slapped my wrist. I wasd polite to him and he was nice back. After all, he has a job to do.

Cant read his sig on the producer, but he was PC10 from the bike division (Guernsey). So if you ever get stopped by PC10 on a bike, be nice to him. He's a great bloke!!!

Also gave the kids some entertainment. They were more interested in a bike with flashing blue lights than dady getting a rollocking!!
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down