www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minister wants no softening of sentences

4 posters

Go down

Minister wants no softening of sentences Empty Minister wants no softening of sentences

Post by GD Wed 06 Jan 2010, 6:22 pm

Minister wants no softening of sentences 0599046LONG sentences look set to stay for drug smugglers.
Home minister Geoff Mahy (pictured) said that the strong stance Guernsey has taken on drugs was helping to stem imports.
‘It sends out a strong message that it’s not a good place to be caught.’
His comments come after his Jersey counterpart, who is a former magistrate, said that the punishment for drug couriers – or mules – was too tough in that island and the Court of Appeal should review the sentencing guidelines.
Senator Ian Le Marquand said there did not appear to be a distinction between those who physically imported drugs and those at the top of the chain who organised the importation.
He added that many couriers would have no idea that the Jersey court’s sentencing policy was so tough.
Deputy Mahy was sure couriers knew the consequences. (from thisisguernsey)

I agree with the need to have long sentences for drug smugglers

What do you think?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Minister wants no softening of sentences Empty Re: Minister wants no softening of sentences

Post by technophobe Thu 07 Jan 2010, 11:10 am

Including Bucktrouts et al?

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Minister wants no softening of sentences Empty Re: Minister wants no softening of sentences

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 07 Jan 2010, 9:10 pm

technophobe wrote:Including Bucktrouts et al?

Why should Bucktrouts be sentenced, I must have missed something here.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Fri 08 Jan 2010, 8:15 am

The full article quoted him as saying something like "we must do all we can to prevent harmful drugs being imported into the island".

Alcohol and nicotine cause the most damage by a country mile, hence my reference to Bucktrouts et al.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dogz Sat 09 Jan 2010, 7:20 pm

technophobe wrote:The full article quoted him as saying something like "we must do all we can to prevent harmful drugs being imported into the island".

Alcohol and nicotine cause the most damage by a country mile, hence my reference to Bucktrouts et al.

Totally agree... take the banning of these legal highs recently.. i am not a user nor have i ever been but they make them illegal all most straight away as they cause deaths.. if alc & fags had just come on to the scene the same would happen and why dont they ban them.... MONEY the islands exchequer would drop by millions raised by the taxes. If cigs are killers the ban them and show the world how forward thinking the Island and its gouvernment is!!

dogz

Male
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : job, because i have to, hobby, no its a full time job!
Humor : occasionally
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dogz Sat 09 Jan 2010, 7:21 pm

note that i am actually a smoker!

dogz

Male
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : job, because i have to, hobby, no its a full time job!
Humor : occasionally
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down