www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefit system is 'decades out of date'

5 posters

Go down

Benefit system is 'decades out of date' Empty Benefit system is 'decades out of date'

Post by GD Mon 08 Feb 2010, 1:18 pm

Benefit system is 'decades out of date' _46398679_markdorey Deputy Dorey said he did not expect to see any progress before 2011

Guernsey's benefit system is decades out of date, the man tasked with helping to reform the system has said.
Professor Dan Finn said it was already past its best when it was introduced in the 1970s and a new system was long overdue.
He said Guernsey needed a system that encouraged people to find work rather than rewarded the unemployed.
The Social Security minister said any changes would be well thought out before they were introduced.
'Back to work'
Deputy Mark Dorey said the changes would need to stand the test of time and he did not expect to see any progress before 2011 at the earliest.
He said: "We'd like to be in a position to go back to the States next year with a discussion document to show how far we have got, but it is a very complex subject and it's key we get it right."
Professor Finn said: "In the same way that you need to modernise other parts of the public sector, it is vital to re-equip the benefits system and rethink it and make it work with modern labour markets and modern family circumstances.
"Clearly there are questions about is it adequate, both in terms of does it actually provide enough resources for families to raise themselves and their children?
"Secondly is it adequate in the sense of is it actually helping people back into work or is it stopping them getting work?
"Is it fit for purpose in terms of lasting another 50 years, because if that's how long it takes to change things it could be quite a long way off."
He said Guernsey should look to its European neighbours and their systems for ideas on how to move forward. (from BBC)

About time it was sorted...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Benefit system is 'decades out of date' Empty Re: Benefit system is 'decades out of date'

Post by Thistle Mon 08 Feb 2010, 2:06 pm

it is about time it was sorted.i receive invalid care allowance and for that have to care for my adult daughter who has learning disabilities for a minimum of 39 hours a week.the huge sum given is about £71 a week. £30 a week of this paltry sum is classed as income when applying for supplementary benefit.damned ridiculous when you think each family caring for an adult/child with learning disabilities at home is saving the states of guernsey in the region of £100,000 (per person not in care )
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Benefit system is 'decades out of date' Empty Re: Benefit system is 'decades out of date'

Post by karma Mon 08 Feb 2010, 2:14 pm

Well said Thistle - my mum had dementia and we (late hubby and I) had to work and care for her......and her doctor applied for a 'carer's' benefit for my Aunt (so that my late hbby and I could work to pay the mortgage, so we could have a home to keep mum with us) and it was the grand sum of £37 per week in those days!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by local guy Mon 08 Feb 2010, 6:58 pm

what would be a fair payment for looking after your loved ones ?
local guy
local guy

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 08 Feb 2010, 7:57 pm

maybe you should try caring for an adult with learning disabilities local guy .by the time most peoples young ones have reached 30 years old they are in all probability married or in a relationship of one kind or another.if they are living at home they can in all probability clean their own bottoms,bathe themselves,not need help to get washed ,dressed or any other thing you are able to do on your own.
working fulltime when you care for somebody at home (with by the way very little respite care to allow you to be you and do something just for you )is not as feasable as some people think.what boss would put up with you not going to work because the person you care for cant attend day centre because they are illor you receive a call to say you have to pick the person you care for up from centre for whatever reason.maybe you would like to care for my daughter for a couple of weeks while i go on a much needed holiday.i have to plan ahead by at least six months for a break away and even then can only go for 8 days as there is not enough respite care for adults with learning disabilities.so i ask you localguy what do you think is a reasonable payment to parents who care for their offspring to the detriment of their own health and lives.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by local guy Mon 08 Feb 2010, 8:01 pm

jeez, i just asked the question, didnt mean anything funny like..

i wouldnt know how much, thats why i asked..
local guy
local guy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 08 Feb 2010, 8:04 pm

just making a point.all i can say is that in jersey the invalid care allowance is £200 a week. as Benefit system is 'decades out of date' 232852 you can tell a bit of a sore point with me.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by local guy Mon 08 Feb 2010, 8:12 pm

As for what i think, at least unemployment benifit of £130 a week or whatever it is..

Put it this way thistle, i prefer to see tax payers money going to people who care for family / loved ones than idle teenagers.
local guy
local guy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Mon 08 Feb 2010, 8:18 pm

thank you for that localguy.x
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 10 Sep 2010, 9:15 pm

we are still no further on with changing the outdated system of benefits in the island...there is also still not enough respite care for adults available...there has been talk of expanding the respite home that is there now by building an extention but guess what it isnt even in the forward planning for 2011... when will hssd realise that if all of the parents caring for loved ones at home suddenly said we cant cope anymore they would be well and truly up the creek without a paddle.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 10 Sep 2010, 9:30 pm

Err... is this the Ostrich syndrome Thistle?

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 10 Sep 2010, 9:40 pm

it sure is dell xx
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum