www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upset over Liberation Square

+2
6 posters

Go down

Upset over Liberation Square Empty Upset over Liberation Square

Post by GD Tue 04 May 2010, 6:53 pm

One of the driving forces behind the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Liberation back in 1995 says the square where this year's celebrations will be staged is a mess.

Jean Baird believes Liberation Square needs a major makeover in the run up to Sunday's ceremony.

She said: "There is only three working days left and there is an awful lot to be done, you can't even read the inscription that Sir Peter Crill uncovered. I just hope they can do it."

Jean's husband George, former treasurer of the States, said: "What gets me is we have spent a fortune on the other end of the avenue and I think we need to get our priorities right here. There are tiles missing, there are weeds all over the place, there's litter all everywhere, quite frankly it's a disgrace. And at this time of year, ninth of May this coming week it's not good enough."

The maintenance and up keep of the square falls under the remit of Transport and Technical Services.

Mike Jackson of TTS commented: "Well the deficiencies I've heard about are that there are broken stones and clearly I'm concerned that they are replaced at the cost of the builder when the job is done. But, unfortunately we have a building site next to the square and this is something, regrettably, we have to put up with on this occasion." (from CTV)

Seems a shame that the States couldn't care less about something that was made to commemorate such a special occasion...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Upset over Liberation Square Empty Re: Upset over Liberation Square

Post by karma Tue 04 May 2010, 9:59 pm

We were staying at the Pomme d'Or last week end and it overlooks Liberation Square and we couldn't believe how disgraceful it looked - where the tiles are missing is a very large area and looks as though it's been attacked with a sledgehammer!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple Me Tue 04 May 2010, 10:42 pm

Its a disgrace to all Jerseyman, cannot beleive that our States members allowed this to happen

Shame on you...

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Thu 06 May 2010, 12:44 pm

what a shame they have let this happen...at least ours is looked after and kept in glory to those who lost their lives .
hope folks never moan at the cost for upkeeping ours
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Thu 06 May 2010, 4:40 pm

I think it fits in very well with the rest of St Helier to be honest.......

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Thu 06 May 2010, 5:13 pm

Looking at the vandalised steps of your liberation monument, you have no room to talk sir.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe Fri 07 May 2010, 8:14 am

kingcolemk wrote:Looking at the vandalised steps of your liberation monument, you have no room to talk sir.

Really? You're not seriously suggesting that our liberation monument is in as much of a mess as your liberation square are you?

Let's face facts, St Helier is a concrete monstrosity, it has neither the charm nor the aesthetics of St Peter Port. I admit that some of the newer buildings along our seafront are not ideal, but in comparison to St Helier it is beauty personified. Never is this more noticeable than when arriving by sea, and it is frequently commented upon by people who have visited both islands.

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri 07 May 2010, 8:41 am

the steps have been repaired and the monument had been cleaned ready for the early service on May 9th
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Fri 07 May 2010, 8:53 am

technophobe wrote:
kingcolemk wrote:Looking at the vandalised steps of your liberation monument, you have no room to talk sir.

Really? You're not seriously suggesting that our liberation monument is in as much of a mess as your liberation square are you?

Let's face facts, St Helier is a concrete monstrosity, it has neither the charm nor the aesthetics of St Peter Port. I admit that some of the newer buildings along our seafront are not ideal, but in comparison to St Helier it is beauty personified. Never is this more noticeable than when arriving by sea, and it is frequently commented upon by people who have visited both islands.

My Liberation Monument ? Upset over Liberation Square Confused Upset over Liberation Square Lol

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down