www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric smart cars heading for Jersey

4 posters

Go down

Electric smart cars heading for Jersey Empty Electric smart cars heading for Jersey

Post by GD Tue 22 Apr 2008, 2:50 pm

Electric smart cars are heading for Jersey - The transport minister's trying to acquire twenty of the vehicles for possible use by tourists, and plans to put recharging points in multi-storey car parks.

Deputy Guy De Faye says the environmentally friendly vehicles could be the perfect alternative for Jersey: "This is a car that really is designed for an environment like Jersey. Indeed I'm told that the top speed can be limited to forty miles an hour to bring everybody within the speed limit whether they like it or not, and by doing so increase the range so it's the sort of vehicle that perhaps we should be getting used to," he said.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Electric smart cars heading for Jersey Empty Re: Electric smart cars heading for Jersey

Post by Troy McClure Fri 23 May 2008, 10:19 am

GD wrote:

Deputy Guy De Faye says... "...Indeed I'm told that the top speed can be limited to forty miles an hour to bring everybody within the speed limit whether they like it or not... ...it's the sort of vehicle that perhaps we should be getting used to,"...

Love the idea of electric vehicles, and have been an advocate of them since for nearly 15years... but HATE the idea that the Minister is okay with limiting the performance like that. The 40mph speed limit in some areas is a joke, and having numerical speed limits is often used as an easy revenue collection method, the only problem being is that speeding fines haven't kept up with other costs so now cost more to collect than they're worth.

If he wants to limit performance do so at 70 or 75mph so the vehicles can still be viable off-island, and take a look at a review of Jersey's speed limits and their implementation and control at the same time.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Electric smart cars heading for Jersey Empty Re: Electric smart cars heading for Jersey

Post by Pegasus Sun 25 May 2008, 2:21 pm

He would have to allow the speed to be set to 70-80 mph otherwise overtaking would be imposible
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 25 May 2008, 7:52 pm

I agree Pegasus overtaking would be impossible also if you restrict the speed it also restricts performance so trying to go up hill will slow the vehicle down to walking pace and IMO would be dangerous.

Having said that if your Deputy would just leave them standard i would like to see them on your and our roads.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Thu 29 May 2008, 8:16 pm

Digger wrote:...if you restrict the speed it also restricts performance so trying to go up hill will slow the vehicle down to walking pace and IMO would be dangerous...
Not necessarily, you could program a max speed without blunting the performance to that speed. In fact if the manufacturer was to take into account an imposed max speed there's a good chance that he could improve the performance and or economy of the vehicle at the lower speeds.

Even on petrol/diesel cars an imposed top speed of ~100mph could result in increased performance and economy at everyday speeds and use.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down