www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two bin bag system to cut waste

+2
Bouzat
GD
6 posters

Go down

Two bin bag system to cut waste Empty Two bin bag system to cut waste

Post by GD Thu 23 Oct 2008, 8:24 am

Householders in part of Guernsey could be asked to use two different bin bags to try and limit the amount of domestic rubbish going to landfill.
There are proposals to allocate two colour-coded bin bags to each home in the Castel parish.
The bags would be bought using tokens that would be given out when paying parish rates.
Dave Chester, the Castel douzaineer, said States members will have to approve the scheme first.
He said an amendment by deputies Tom Le Pelley and Hunter Adam will have to be adopted which allows the island's parishes to charge in different ways for the removal of waste. (from BBC news)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Two bin bag system to cut waste Empty Re: Two bin bag system to cut waste

Post by Bouzat Sun 15 Feb 2009, 9:31 pm

A bit of a late answer to this, but it's my first post! My bugbear is plastic refuse sacks left out instead of bins - they get torn open by gulls, cats, rats etc., leaving rubbish strewn over the road and attracting more rats, gulls etc. This was particularly evident in the Vale when we had the snow a few weeks ago. People left rubbish out on the Monday as usual, as there had been no information telling us not to, then we were told on the radio there would be a collection Weds. morning, amd there wasn't, so some bags were left out for 3 days.

I have seen in some places in the UK small wheelie bins provided by the council for kerbside recycling, different colours for the various categories.
Bouzat
Bouzat

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 15 Feb 2009, 9:49 pm

Hi Bouzat and welcome . I see your point about leaving sacks out ,but where i used to live the bin men ruined our bins dragging them all over the place they said it was easier for them to just chuck the bag in the wagon . As for kerb side recycling bring it on i say the sooner the better but i don't think it is the will of the states to implement it because they want a mass burn incinerator which imo is not needed .
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouzat Sun 15 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

Hi and thanks. I'm not sure why they need to drag them anywhere, but I've never had this, probably cos I've got a wheelie bin, also with just one big bin sack inside. I agree about the incinerator - glass and metal would still be recycled though?
Bouzat
Bouzat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 15 Feb 2009, 9:56 pm

I'll second that about a mass burn incinerator Digger. I marched with Scott Ogier last time the incinerator was 'impending' and he told me that as a St Sampsons dweller, if it got through he would move to another parish - he was not having his children in a poisonous atmosphere!!! that is why he's so passionate about it!!!! If we have one I suggest on the cliffs at Pleinmont - no houses around and the visiting ships cannot see it.......Jersey's is a huge monstrosity and needs replacing already!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouzat Sun 15 Feb 2009, 9:58 pm

Ship all our rubbish to the Crapauds I say! I suspect the North would be chosen yet again cos prevailing winds are southerly and it would generally blow out to sea. However, the same doesn't seem to happen with the stink we get from the gas at the tip !
Bouzat
Bouzat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 15 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm

The North will always be chosen - we have no rich immigrants living down yer us!!!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 16 Feb 2009, 12:19 am

some places actually give plastic bins (about 2' square and 2' deep)to the household and on collection day you put recyclables in the bin and buy an approved plastic bag from the council for the perishable rubbish. Works a treat

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouzat Thu 19 Feb 2009, 8:27 am

Ooh controversial karma - yet probably largely true! Good point Plimmerton - why should we re-invent the wheel when we can look at what other similarly sized communities do successfully? I think it's Germany where people get recycled rubbish collected free, but pay for other stuff. Anyone know? This is the only type of incentive that will work here - hitting people in their pocket!
Bouzat
Bouzat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 19 Feb 2009, 10:25 am

In Australia you get three bins (well we do in Victoria) Green Wheelie (weekly collection) is for general rubbish - Yellow Wheelie (every other week collection) is for recycling Black Topped wheelie (monthly collection) is for garden waste......appears to be working there - only problem I see is there everybody has a 'nature strip' in front of their house which is where you put your bins on collection day - here in Guernsey there isn't enough room to put bins in front of your house it would be a bit hazardous!!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 19 Feb 2009, 5:25 pm

Yes but Karma, it would stop the cyclists running you down outside your front door!! lol!

Two bin bag system to cut waste Sport-smiley-023
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 19 Feb 2009, 5:34 pm

Probably at my age I'd land in the recyle bin and be carted away :PMSL:

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Thu 19 Feb 2009, 6:11 pm

Two bin bag system to cut waste Grinning-smiley-020 LOL, you have to laugh!! Two bin bag system to cut waste Grinning-smiley-028
Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down