www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd.

+2
Spirit
Martini
6 posters

Go down

The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd. Empty The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd.

Post by Martini Sun 22 Feb 2009, 5:10 pm

As you all know, we are (hopefully as quickly as possible) going to exploit our tidal power resources in the fairly near future. This is all well and good, and we should be able to make a pretty penny off it, but there will be times, when the tide is running at night, where nobody will want the power, or it will be priced very lowly. This being the case, it makes sense to look at using this off-peak generation for alternative income streams.
One of the major problems in the world today, as we all know, is our reliance on fossil fuels. As a result, the development of fuel cells is proceeding apace. They really appear to offer a viable alternative to oil, especially in vehicles, and by definition, eventually in homes too. Trouble is, they need hydrogen to power them. Now getting hydrogen is not a problem, but producing it is. We obviously have to crack water, which takes a lot of power - which could be done with the off-peak power. This means we could become a major exporter of electricity AND hydrogen, the two most important fuels in the world today.
So, lots to do, and lots to earn, but I believe this should seriously be looked into, to give us another income stream, and who knows, may even be sufficient for the islands to get rid of the banks!

Martini

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd. Empty Re: The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd.

Post by Spirit Sun 22 Feb 2009, 5:16 pm

The holy grail of renewable energy is a man-made hydro-carbon. Burning oil and gas has made the world we live in due to the high levels of energy available and the ease of transport.

Work is underway into developing these new fuels, mainly using bacteria, but as Martini points out, large amounts of energy will be needed to make this liquid fuel. Any excess production of electricity from tidal power could be used in these new processes.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd. Empty Re: The Guernsey Electricity And Hydrogen Co. Ltd.

Post by Martini Sun 22 Feb 2009, 5:19 pm

I agree, but I suspect it is highly unlikely that we'll have the resources to be able to contribute to these developments, which is why I favour the hydrogen cracker, which could be done on a smaller scale, I believe

Martini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Sun 22 Feb 2009, 5:57 pm

Martini, agree with you, but if we cant impliment a paid parking scheme which i am going to greatly contest Mr Gollops shite on this subject, and we cant impliment a simple waste incinerator at a site like the Longue Hougue, what gives us any confidence that our governing body can do us any favours in implimening a hydrogen cracker facility???
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Martini Sun 22 Feb 2009, 6:17 pm

You're right, of course, but the points you raise are contentious, which is why they don't get through. My idea makes money - that's a powerful incentive to get to it!

Martini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 22 Feb 2009, 7:26 pm

Hi and welcome Martini , Trust you to come up with something that sounds sensible , i have not looked into this but will in the near future . I like the words "hydrogen cracker" sounds very futuristic. We could be world leaders . :)
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Martini Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:41 pm

Good oh Digs! I look forward to reading what you find!

Martini

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:43 pm

NOT RELATED TO KK'S UNDERCRACKERS BY ANY CHANCE????

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:48 pm

I hope not Karma i a not sure she would let us borrow them. :-)
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:51 pm

Just a thort :-)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:54 pm

PMSL at u 2 :-) ...
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:57 pm

KK go back to bed....you know you want to LOL

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Sun 22 Feb 2009, 8:59 pm

lmao..i doooooo ....but i am tired this time !! Wink
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun 22 Feb 2009, 9:00 pm

:) lol! :(

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down