www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pupil 'better off out of school'

+2
kat
GD
6 posters

Go down

Pupil 'better off out of school' Empty Pupil 'better off out of school'

Post by GD Wed 23 Dec 2009, 11:51 am

A pupil with profound hearing loss would be better off out of Guernsey's education system, his mother has said.
Cayden Troth, 7, had the help of a fully qualified teacher for the deaf, but that teacher is leaving, to be replaced by a teaching assistant.
Debi Troth said she would pull him out of school in January, rather than let the standard of his education fall.
The Education Department said its service for hearing impaired was well resourced compared to other places.
Ms Troth said it was unfair both for her son and also for the assistant teacher who would not be adequately qualified to give the quality of education she felt he deserved.
Cayden was born with severe hearing loss and had the assistance of the teacher for the majority of his lessons, which he took in mainstream education. (from BBC)

mmm not sure if its the right thing to do.

Whats your views?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Pupil 'better off out of school' Empty Re: Pupil 'better off out of school'

Post by kat Wed 23 Dec 2009, 2:39 pm

I know of at least two teaching assistance that can communicate with the deaf with signing .perhaps she is taking him out too soon .
ps
glad she got the fence sorted out ! lol
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 24 Dec 2009, 7:05 pm

Her son needs the best eduction possible and she is right to complain to get a good standard. How will she give him any standard of education by taking him out of school, as I recall Debbie isn't the brightest light on the Christmas tree.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Thu 24 Dec 2009, 9:42 pm

This is not about how bright Debbie is or not,She is a good mum who wants the best for her child .
If she sticks to what she says, hopefully he will get the education he needs as all our children deserve a good education whatever the parents are like!
I say good for her for making a fuss .she is protecting her son!
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by schoolyjo Thu 24 Dec 2009, 11:02 pm

depends plimmerton811, by what you mean the brightest light on the christmas tree, cos as i recall, she`s just won a court case with the housing, she`s standing up for her rights with her son, she`s done numerous charity things to raise money, but above all, she has a heart, maybe we should start thinking about people in a good light rather than a negative one
on the schooling side, she would be more than capable of home schooling her child, i`ve done it and numerous others have done it, and the child has learnt just as much if not more!

schoolyjo

Female
Number of posts : 177
Humor : exceedlingly wicked
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Fri 25 Dec 2009, 12:50 am

Kat and Schoolyjo, if you read my post I agree that she has the right to complain and have no objection to that and she is doing what any other parent would do and that is to shout, my concern is that she would not be able to give him a better education outside of the school system and it is the education that is paramount in this instance.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Pupil 'better off out of school' Empty My points

Post by debi Sat 26 Dec 2009, 1:02 am

I am the mother of Cadeyn, and i think that you should find out all of your facts before passing on your comments PLIMMERTON811. I have been in this situation before many years ago with my other son who also may i add is profoundly deaf. He went through mainstream education after the hearing unit was closed down. I was assured at the time that he would have a good level of support by trained people who had experience of dealing with the hard of hearing, through the years of his schooling. This turned out not to be the case. As a consequence he fell behind, he struggled and he became quite difficult so much so that he was excluded from school for 2 years only receiving 1.5 hours education 3 times a week. which the states education felt was adequate. As far as i am concerned this was far from ideal, but that is what the education do when they can't cope they exclude the children as they no longer have to deal with the problem. They can never admit to failing. I do not know if you have experience with deaf and hard of hearing children but i can only say that it is a tough job trying to raise a child with this type of disability. Anyway i now have a 23 year old son who is not working, most companies don't want to employ him because of his poor educational background and i hold the education department partly responsible for this. I say partly as i myself feel partly to blame for not standing up and fighting for his rights. Now i am older and wiser i feel that i have been thrust into this same situation again with my younger son. When i discovered that he was profoundly deaf which i also must add was not picked up on here in Guernsey i had to pay to take my son to the UK for for it to be confirmed that he had a hearing problem, but that is another story that i will not go into depths about at the moment. I decided that i would send him to a private school to give him a good start and a good chance of gaining a good education, he attended Acorn Pre-School for a year and it was then decided after this that the school would not offer him a place in reception as they did not feel that they could give him the support that he needed. A huge disappointment for Cadeyn as he had made alot of friends. So that was the start. I then had countless meetings with the education about home schooling and sending him to main stream school and was again assured that he would get a good level of support if i sent him to a state school. The final agreement was that i would send him to a state school but if at any time any of the support was withdrawn then i would withdraw him. Up until December he was receiving 3 days support with a teacher of the deaf and the other two with a teaching assistant. The education knew that one of the t. o d was leaving right back in July and never bothered to advertise for the post to be filled. We have only just found out that they are not going to replace her but that they are just going to use a t.a instead. My son, i have been informed will now only receive 1 day support with a t.o.d and the rest of the time will be a t.a .And it is because they have gone back on what they have said is the reason that i will stick to what i said. I am not prepared for my child too loose out and end up being excluded later on because the schools don't know how to teach these children. My son deserves the same right to a decent education just like any other child in Guernsey. And i am going to make sure that he gets it. You may think that i am wrong but if people are not prepared to stand up and fight for these children and that is all children with disabilities then that makes us as bad as the education. We are just letting them get away with doing these children an injustice and allowing them to discredit our children. I do not know if you have children and if you do if they have disabilities. If they do then you will know where i am coming from. If you are one of the lucky parents that has what is considered a normal child then you really haven't got a clue. At the end of the day i am my son's voice and i will do what i feel is right for him. Not what you think is right. Feel free to comment. Thank you. Oh and by the way " not the brightest light on the Christmas Tree", i don't ever recall saying i was. Are you? From what i remember about you, your a sandwich short of a picnic.......

debi

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Sat 26 Dec 2009, 4:33 am

Thanks for the facts but they do not change my view because, I do not recall saying that you should not fight for your sons education. I questioned that you should take him out of school whilst you fought.

Last edited by plimmerton811 on Sat 26 Dec 2009, 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : brevity)

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Sat 26 Dec 2009, 10:40 am

plimmerton811 wrote:Her son needs the best eduction possible and she is right to complain to get a good standard. How will she give him any standard of education by taking him out of school, as I recall Debbie isn't the brightest light on the Christmas tree.

Plimmerton 811 before you point the finger at folks being the brightest light on a tree ,perhaps you should spell check your posts firsts .you spelt education wrong.

ps i am also the queen of miss spellings myself so i also never say folks are not bright .

And as for Debbie's post ..well said Debbie .you know all your facts i wish you well in your fight ,all children deserves a education what ever the disabilities.
It is too easy to just push them out of school and give them no education at all ,the prison has a lot of these folks in them .
Help them now and save money later in live as if they do have an education they will have the knowledge to be able to work and support the states system ..
just throw them out of school from an early age and they will be the next lot of those drawing states benifits
kat
kat

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten Sat 26 Dec 2009, 11:46 am

Great post Debi.....thanks for giving us an insight into the facts behind the story.... Pupil 'better off out of school' 146236
kiwis kitten
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down