www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scholes rejoins United until end of season

2 posters

Go down

Scholes rejoins United until end of season Empty Scholes rejoins United until end of season

Post by GD Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:55 pm

(Reuters) - Former England midfielder Paul Scholes, who retired at the end of last season, has rejoined Manchester United until the end of this campaign, the club said on Sunday.

The 37-year-old, who has been coaching and training with the club's reserves, is still match fit and was named among the substitutes for Sunday's FA Cup third round match at Manchester City.

United have suffered a succession of injury problems this season, with central midfielders Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher and Anderson ruled out for large chunks of the campaign.

Manager Alex Ferguson told the United website (www.manutd.com): "It's fantastic that Paul has made this decision. It's always sad to see great players end their careers, but especially so when they do it early.

"But he has kept himself in great shape and I always felt that he had another season in him. It's terrific to have him back."

Scholes played 676 matches for United between 1994 and 2011, scoring 150 goals and helping them win two Champions Leagues, 10 Premier League titles and three FA Cups.

"I've been pretty clear since I stopped playing that I miss it," he said.

"I'm delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team and I'm looking forward to playing my part in trying to bring more success to this great club."

Scholes played 66 times for England before retiring from internationals in 2004 to extend his club career.

Michael Carrick and Ryan Giggs have been the only fit and experienced central midfielders available to Ferguson in recent weeks.

Carrick has also been forced to play in defence and United have lost their last two Premier League matches, falling three points behind City at the top of the table.

Scholes was sent off in the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley in April which United lost 1-0.

His last appearance was as a late substitute in the 3-1 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona at Wembley in May.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Scholes rejoins United until end of season Empty Re: Scholes rejoins United until end of season

Post by cockney Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:30 am

Sounds like desperate measures to me. Manure are clearly struggling to hang on to Citys coat tails.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down