www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bailiff and AG: ‘No conflict in our roles’

Go down

Bailiff and AG: ‘No conflict in our roles’ Empty Bailiff and AG: ‘No conflict in our roles’

Post by GD Sat 23 Aug 2008, 3:32 pm

CLAIMS that there is a conflict of interest between his role as Jersey’s chief prosecutor and his brother’s position as chief judge have been rejected by Attorney General William Bailhache.

Speaking publicly for the first time about his relationship with his brother – the Bailiff, Sir Philip Bailhache – Mr Bailhache has described these claims made in the national media and in some local circles as ‘nonsense’.

The claims of a conflict were made in relation to the historical child abuse inquiry.

‘I will do my job in relation to this investigation with integrity as I have always done,’ he said.

He said that both he and Sir Philip were always sensitive to the situation and he did not appear before the Bailiff in court in any contentious matters – in fact, he hardly had the opportunity to appear in court at all because of other commitments.

Mr Bailhache was appointed by the Queen as the Island’s Attorney General in 2000, succeeding Michael Birt, who became Deputy Bailiff at the same time.

His brother Sir Philip (62) has been a States Member since 1972, when he was elected Deputy for Grouville. He resigned to take up the position of Solicitor General in 1975 and became Attorney General 11 years later. He then became Deputy Bailiff in 1994 and was appointed Bailiff the following year, succeeding Sir Peter Crill. (from thisisjersey)

Do you think that there is any conflict?
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum