www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourism tailspin

+2
GD
st_ouennais
6 posters

Go down

Tourism tailspin Empty Tourism tailspin

Post by st_ouennais Sat 01 Nov 2008, 1:01 pm

Airport arrival figures are down 8.5% in September. Jersey Tourism is to hold emergency talks on how to reinstate lost airlines. Economic Development Minister Ozouf said "No one can say that we could have done more in relation to the work we have done in securing airlines. I can't avoid recession"

st_ouennais

Male
Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Global environmental concern
Humor : Not today
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://st-ouennais.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Tourism tailspin Empty Re: Tourism tailspin

Post by st_ouennais Mon 10 Nov 2008, 5:06 pm

It has been announced that up to a million pounds is to be 'injected' into tourism to help prop up tourist numbers. Intriguingly the debate about whether we should be targetting families and the traditional bucket and spade visitors, or push for more 'up market' tourists is on-going. I should have thought that strategic decision needed to be made before increasing the spending.

st_ouennais

Male
Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Global environmental concern
Humor : Not today
Registration date : 2008-06-23

http://st-ouennais.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Mon 10 Nov 2008, 8:23 pm

EasyJet, BmiBaby, Bmi, Flybe and Thomsonfly have all cancelled or reduced the number of flights servicing the Island this winter, and in September Jersey suffered a further blow when HD Ferries cancelled all winter routes.

The downturn has been blamed on the worldwide financial crisis, but hey, is it really that, or has coming to the Channel Islands just too expensive,

Maybe the Islands should be grateful for the tourist's they get, and not waste money on projects that already are "Dead"
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 10 Nov 2008, 9:42 pm

At least Jersey is spending to try and get life back into tourism,

I think when both Islands realise that the Finance Industry will, like the Growing and Tourist industries, not be the money maker it once was, and a bit of diversification is needed.
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple Me Thu 13 Nov 2008, 10:17 pm

Tourism will not save the Islands.

Its too late the "Horse" has bolted, Only el-cheapo airlines will bring the tourists back

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 13 Nov 2008, 10:20 pm

I think you need several industries not just one
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pegasus Thu 13 Nov 2008, 10:26 pm

wayside wrote:I think you need several industries not just one

I agree with you wayside, the trouble is the States in both Islands have far too long been been looking after the Banking side,

Growing, Tourism, Light Industry & Mailing companies have failed to see any real support

Its going to be a very "Dark" 2009 and I cannot see how the States Ministers in both Islands will get around this easily
Pegasus
Pegasus

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Fri 14 Nov 2008, 11:17 am

The states seemed to be more worried about the VAT loophole causing a problem with the UK so discouraged the Postal companied setting up yet the huge loophole that Obama is likely to try and fill could wipe out a huge proportion of our income almost overnight.

The problem is finance has pushed up all the costs like property and wages etc, and the states with TRP and such,that light industry which exprts to the UK which could be a proprtion of our future is not Viable.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Mon 17 Nov 2008, 11:52 pm

Simple Me wrote:Tourism will not save the Islands.

Its too late the "Horse" has bolted, Only el-cheapo airlines will bring the tourists back
Tourism could be resurrected in Jersey, but it'll take a willingness to accept some quality development, and some liberalisation of some licensing laws.

Just supplying cheap transportation won't be enough, there has to be a reason to come here in the first place.

It's not the the industry or potential investors in the industry aren't there with ideas, just that the States, and vocal public, often stifle progress for selfish reasons.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Tue 18 Nov 2008, 12:03 am

wayside wrote:The states seemed to be more worried about the VAT loophole causing a problem with the UK so discouraged the Postal companied setting up...
Odd that the UK authorities seemed so concerned about this 'loophole' when it was £18, yet since then it's been agreed that the 'loophole' will, from the 1st December 2008 be increased to £108. Soon it won't just be DVDs, we'll be shipping the players and TVs too!

During the debates regarding the introduction of GST I spoke to the manager of one of these legitimately local internet retailers at a Town Hall meeting with Crown Estates, Sen. Le Sueur et al. The presentation was being given and listed Jersey's industries in value order as, unsurprisingly first, Finance, then Tourism and Agriculture taking 2nd and 3rd places; but the gentleman I was speaking to pointed out that based on the turnover figures given in the presentation his company(not his industry, just his company) should've taken the 3rd place honours!

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Tue 18 Nov 2008, 12:08 am

If £108.00 is correct then I can see the problem getting big enough to cause waves in the UK Government, seems a big jump
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down