www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GST Tax Bonus - Delayed ???

2 posters

Go down

GST Tax Bonus - Delayed ??? Empty GST Tax Bonus - Delayed ???

Post by Troy McClure Tue 03 Mar 2009, 11:34 am

Islanders wait for £150 tax bonus

Jersey households are still waiting to apply for a £150 tax refund.

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) bonus is designed to compensate some people for the tax on food.

Application forms had been due to be made available on 1 March, but social security officials are still compiling a list of those eligible.

Households are eligible where at least one adult has been resident in the island for five years, and neither pay income tax nor receive income support...
BBC
Something feels wrong about this; either something not being said, or just plain old incompetence.

If SS can compile a list of those eligible, why make them then form fill for the sake of it to claim this 'bonus'. If the application form is required to determine who's eligible then the list they're compiling seems pointless.

I'm amazed that there are 2,000 households in Jersey that qualified for this bonus last year; that's 5% of households that don't receive Income Support, yet also don't pay Income Tax and have been resident for 5+years? Who does that leave?

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

GST Tax Bonus - Delayed ??? Empty Re: GST Tax Bonus - Delayed ???

Post by Jsygal Fri 20 Mar 2009, 5:24 pm

Well I'm all a bit confused about this one and maybe in my confusion ill have your answer!

I know of at least 2 people that get Income support but are elegible for this bonus!!

I do not know alot about Income support and how it all now works as i do not recieve it.

If you were previously on Sickness benefit not claiming welfare are you classed as not recieveing Income support?

Also Rent rebate i believe has now changed to a form of Income support so those who do work but dont earn enough to pay Tax but do not pay the "full" rental value on there states homes and get "Income Support" to pay a portion are they elegible for this Bonus??

As i said im completly confused as to how and why both sets of people were given bonus's last year and have claimed again this year but maybe ive answered your question and maybe they are the 5%??

Jsygal

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down