www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking

+6
Spirit
nan
kat
GD
10 posters

Go down

Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking Empty Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking

Post by GD Mon 27 Sep 2010, 12:18 pm

Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking _49254122_andrewlelievre Deputy Le Lievre said smoking was the biggest single cause of death

Smoking should be completely banned, Guernsey's deputy health minister has said.
The States will decide this week whether to go back on an outright ban on cigarette vending machines, a move it decided on earlier this year.
Deputy Andrew Le Lievre said he voted for the ban and he would vote to keep it in place.
He said he was not speaking for his department, but personally he would like to see smoking outlawed.
Deputy Le Lievre said: "Smoking is the biggest single cause of premature death in the island.
"I would support any process which put barriers up between the smoker and obtaining his cigarettes.
"I know that sounds awful and it's a potential vote loser. I don't care. The fact of the matter is I would like to see smoking stopped." (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking Empty Re: Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking

Post by kat Mon 27 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm

he can kiss his but goodbye on the next election
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking Empty Re: Deputy minister in favour of complete ban on smoking

Post by nan Mon 27 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

Whoever said the Island was Liberated in 1945 must have got
their facts wrong..
nan
nan

Female
Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Mon 27 Sep 2010, 1:45 pm

at least he still has free speech
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Mon 27 Sep 2010, 2:12 pm

A UK company has this week announced that employees must start clocking off when they go outside for a smoke. About time too.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Mon 27 Sep 2010, 2:30 pm

I worry about the secondary 'black hole' being dug by the anti smoking lobby - how will they manage to fill that one up once cigarettes have been out-lawed and the duty on same taken out of the equation? Once cigarettes can no longer kill us the 'anti everything' brigade will have to fixed their bored brains on something else to lobby us about - probably alcohol (come back George Orwell all is forgiven and we went into this dictatorship with our eyes wide closed!!!!)

And no I do not smoke - just wonder where they are going to squeeze us next in the name of good health!!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

D**k-tator.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:56 pm

Why dont the anti smoking lobby f**k off and leave us alone. We contribute for our healthcare by way of the tax we pay on cigarettes. In fact we contribute so much that we are actually subsidising non smokers. The day I have to give up working I know I wont be able to afford to live so I have no wish to end up living beneath the poverty line in an old peoples home. I value my independence and the day I lose that will, I hope, be my last.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 28 Sep 2010, 1:26 pm

i am a reformed smoker and would never ever start again....everybody has a right to do as they wish with their own lives..if people choose to smoke,drink or eat unhealthy food then that is their choice..it is not up to politicians to tell islanders what they can and cant do...
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Tue 28 Sep 2010, 2:17 pm

i am also a none smoker now ,but have no problem with those who choose to smoke .
the deputies should find a way to get rid of the rubbish and leave others rights alone,
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk Tue 28 Sep 2010, 4:38 pm

The word 'rights' is the most overworked and meaningless word in the English language.

What is a right for one person is often an imposition on another, and vice versa.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue 28 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

there are far more things to worry about in guernsey than whether ciggie machines should be banned or not...if smokers want to buy ciggies and smoke them selves to death that is their choice..deputies need to be working on the rubbish problem,the lack of disabled access to places,the rights of the disabled in the workplace,more adult respite services,getting the local unemployed back to work etc etc x
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert Tue 28 Sep 2010, 6:44 pm

but yet.....smoking cannabis should be banned....
Fast Robert
Fast Robert

Male
Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:19 pm

I thought it was confused

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down