www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST

3 posters

Go down

The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST Empty The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST

Post by GD Tue 27 May 2008, 8:15 pm

The Consumer Council's been inundated with questions and complaints about GST.

The new tax has been in force for three weeks.

But the biggest concern's been the cost of food.

The Consumer Council says its priority is tackling price transparency.

It's in talks with Data Protection about consumers being able to ask stores for records of their shopping habits.

And it wants prices to be listed on websites so shoppers can compare them

As if anything will be doen about it.....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST Empty Re: The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST

Post by Digger Tue 27 May 2008, 8:43 pm

I just hope we do not go down that GST route as prices are high enough now.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST Empty Re: The Consumer Council's been inundated about GST

Post by Troy McClure Tue 27 May 2008, 10:51 pm

GD wrote:The Consumer Council's been inundated with questions and complaints about GST.
But were any of the complaints justified? or just the public not understanding GST? I think GST is for the most part a fair and simple tax, just because so many people don't understand it doesn't mean it's wrong.
GD wrote:...The Consumer Council says its priority is tackling price transparency...
What does that mean? GST is 3%, so if the total price of a litre of milk is £1.03 the GST is the 3p and the core selling price is £1. Very simple, very transparent.
GD wrote:...It's in talks with Data Protection about consumers being able to ask stores for records of their shopping habits...
Where's the source on this GD? The only local food retailer who could do this would be the CO-OP, and only then for shareholder. If the CC are looking into this they're wasting their time and money.
GD wrote:...And it wants prices to be listed on websites so shoppers can compare them...
If the CC wants that they can have it.... only they don't want to have to do it themselves do they, they want the retailers to do it for them, at the retailers cost; which gets passed on to the consumer and which they'll complain about as prices rise.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Wed 28 May 2008, 6:38 pm

I see in tonight's JEP a local retailer is blaming the administration of GST for his closure. I'm sure everybody will feel very sorry for him and Messers Le Sueur, Walker et al will again be demonised.... but in the article he admits he doesn't turn over more than £300,000, and therefore doesn't need to register for GST.

I wonder how long and complicated the administration of nothing really is???

He claims in the article that GST came as a shock to him, err how? It didn't exactly creep in unnoticed.

I wish people would stop blaming their misunderstanding of the tax on GST being to blame.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down