www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tram for the Waterfront?

3 posters

Go down

Tram for the Waterfront? Empty Tram for the Waterfront?

Post by GD Mon 02 Jun 2008, 7:19 pm

JERSEY could again have a railway running from the west to town.

Representatives of a leading transport company are visiting the Island this week to talk to politicians about the feasibility of creating a light railway or tram system.

Experts from Transdev were invited to the Island by the Environment Scrutiny panel and will meet representatives of the Transport and Technical Services department and the Environment department.

The visit comes at the instigation of Scrutiny panel member Deputy Paul Le Claire. The Deputy said: ‘I have always thought there was room for a light railway or tram system. I put the idea to the panel and they asked me to look into options.’

He said that he had spoken to a number of expert businesses and the visit of Transdev on Thursday was the first tangible step into assessing feasibility and potential costs.
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Tram for the Waterfront? Empty Re: Tram for the Waterfront?

Post by kat Mon 02 Jun 2008, 8:31 pm

are they using the trains we dont want?
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Mon 02 Jun 2008, 9:57 pm

Fact is that the route any tram/train/monorail would use, would mirror the Connex Route 15, about the only profitable bit of the bus system. Without the income from that route the bus service is not profitable (or less profitable still) and would need further subsidy or would close.

No rail system can replace the bus routes, so to have one would cost far more than the coat of it alone.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down