www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WATERFRONT

3 posters

Go down

WATERFRONT Empty WATERFRONT

Post by matt74 Sat 13 Dec 2008, 8:56 pm

Whats to be said about the waterfront that we now have after more than 15years of coming together?

matt74

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

WATERFRONT Empty Re: WATERFRONT

Post by Troy McClure Sun 14 Dec 2008, 6:39 am

It's a shame they/we wasted the opportunity.

There's no real plan in place, the proposals that have been put don't use the potential of the site and there isn't a use of building/development down there that people care about/can be proud of; the design is shockingly bad.

What has the Waterfront done for St Helier? (other than 'solve' a waste storage problem over the last couple of decades)

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by matt74 Sun 14 Dec 2008, 8:14 pm

It's provided good cash potential for developers.

matt74

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Sun 14 Dec 2008, 8:56 pm

matt74 wrote:It's provided good cash potential for developers.
To a point, but the cash potential could've been better and the quality could've been better with it.

The way the developers are being forced to work within a lacking planning framework means we get less than we could, and should, from a quality perspective. Give them more scope, but force quality and they'll still make their money, but we'll get more for it.

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matt74 Mon 15 Dec 2008, 7:05 pm

I was meaning that the real benefiters have been the developers - it's all been jam packed developed and has left no room for public space or seafront promenades with any greenery. It might as well be a uk suburban commercial complex.

matt74

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple Me Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:42 pm

[quote=\"matt74\"]I was meaning that the real benefiters have been the developers - it\'s all been jam packed developed and has left no room for public space or seafront promenades with any greenery. It might as well be a uk suburban commercial complex.[/quote]

Matt you are so right, the whole sight is a mess, it makes the Harbour look like a typical uk commercial enterprise, a complete eyesore

Simple Me

Male
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by matt74 Tue 16 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm

It seems to be the way Jersey is going. 'Developers-in-for-maximum-profit-R-US,plc'

matt74

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Troy McClure Wed 17 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

Simple Me wrote:...the Harbour look like a typical uk commercial enterprise, a complete eyesore
Don't forget the harbour is a commercial port, and as such the look of the place is secondary to the practical considerations.

I'd agree the the leisure complex is awful, how it looks and also in it's planning, but that isn't the developers fault in this case; it's planning's.

As for the developers reaping the rewards: So what? That's what they're in business for, and if planning did their job properly then we'd get the benefit, and we get that do we care how much somebody else makes?

Troy McClure

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down