www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony

Go down

ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony Empty ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony

Post by GD Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

Manifesto to follow...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony Empty Re: ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony

Post by GD Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

ST. PIER; Gavin Anthony Gavin-St-Pier-300x275I am a chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser, having qualified in Guernsey. I worked in London for a couple of years and qualified as a barrister before returning to the island in 1995.

Having been a partner with international accounting firms KPMG and Deloitte and having held senior positions locally at Kleinwort Benson and Barclays Wealth, I understand the leading role and significant contribution the finance industry plays in our economy.

In 2009, I left ‘big business’ and set up my own trust company, Veyrier Trustees, which has given me the different experience and challenge of running a small business. I also have wider business experience as a non-executive director of Aurigny and Chairman of Alderney Electricity.

Accountability – In our system of government it is often unclear who is accountable. This was most starkly seen in relation to the management and oversight of the Education Department for over 10 years, but is apparent elsewhere.

I strongly believe that accountability is a fundamental part of a Deputy’s role:

• firstly, to be accountable for his or her own conduct;
  • secondly, to be accountable – with the Minister first-among-equals – for the performance of the Departments on which they sit;
  • thirdly, to hold their peers and public servants to account for their conduct and performance; and
  • lastly, but importantly, to be accountable for the discharge of public funds.

Education - It is estimated that up to 75% of our economy directly or indirectly comes from the finance sector. We are a knowledge-based economy in an increasingly open and competitive world economy. This requires a highly skilled workforce. Our education system must deliver the highest possible standard of education to give our children the best start in life. To do this, we should not necessarily be setting our standards by reference to the UK, but should be asking: what can we learn from the best education systems in the world to meet our own needs?

Waste strategy – I am supportive of the principles behind the recently approved waste strategy: by increasing recycling rates substantially, we are reducing the residue we need to deal with. For the strategy to work, we will need to radically change behaviour, which will need a change in how we charge for waste. The current system of a rubbish rate based on TRP will no longer be sustainable.

07839 240167

gavinstpier@gmail.com

www.gavinstpier.gg
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down