www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Customs cash inquiry still active

+9
bug1
MarkyD
jan
Spirit
Digger
Pete Burtenshaw
plimmerton811
Chok Dee Ja
GD
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Customs cash inquiry still active Empty Customs cash inquiry still active

Post by GD Mon 17 Nov 2008, 10:33 am

The riddle of what happened to money stolen from Customs in Guernsey more than three years ago is still being solved, a politician has said.
About £19,000 went missing from a safe in the Customs office in October 2005. It is thought it was confiscated from two men jailed for importing cannabis.
Dorset Police were brought in to investigate, but no arrests have so far been made.
But Home Minister Geoff Mahy said the case has not been closed.
He told BBC Radio Guernsey the Dorset force remained in charge of the investigation.
When the theft was initially discovered, customs officials refused to confirm the total figure, describing it simply as "substantial".
Customs officials said two years ago an insurance claim would be put in when the inquiry was complete, but it is not known whether that has been done. (from BBC News)

"Active".... probably means in the "to be dealt with" tray....
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Customs cash inquiry still active Empty Re: Customs cash inquiry still active

Post by Chok Dee Ja Mon 17 Nov 2008, 10:57 am

Or Not To Be Dealt With Tray

But Active

Sounds better than closed :evil:

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Mon 17 Nov 2008, 6:50 pm

There has been a very long thread on Why Guernsey about this and it is a bit involved.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 17 Nov 2008, 7:05 pm

Don’t keep us in suspense......what is the inferior forums opinion of this theft and cover-up??

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Mon 17 Nov 2008, 8:53 pm

On the phone-in yesterday the home minister said that the Dorset police have said that no one who works in the customs department are suspects this begs the question on how did the person/person's involved gain access to the safe ? and why was the safe presumily unlocked or did they blow it up. So many questions and NO answers.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Mon 17 Nov 2008, 9:26 pm

Looks like it is an ex employee who has now legged it off the Island.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 17 Nov 2008, 9:47 pm

New Zealand......perhaps???

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Tue 18 Nov 2008, 2:24 am

Pete, interesting place to pick but try about 6k closer to Gsy.

"Don’t keep us in suspense......what is the inferior forums opinion of this theft and cover-up??"

There you go again giving inflammatory opinions, of the above three pieces, "inferior forum, theft and cover up". One is debatable and of personal choice, one is true and one is total rubbish based on ignorance. I'll let you read the forum you'll feel at home cause there is a lot of total rubbish on it about conspiracy's, cover ups etc etc.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Tue 18 Nov 2008, 5:05 am

Tse Tse

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue 18 Nov 2008, 2:51 pm

The inquiry may remain "active" but that doesnt mean they are 'actively' doing anything to find the culprit. It just means they havent closed the case.
It could remain an "active" case for the next 30 years with no conclusion or the culprit being brought to justice. It will probably only become "closed" when everyone forgets about it.

Incidently, is there a Statute of Limitations on Guernsey regarding theft or anything else?
jan
jan

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Tue 18 Nov 2008, 7:26 pm

Perhaps they know who the thief is hence the mention that no one in customs is responsible, how could that be said if they had no idea who did it.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 18 Nov 2008, 8:29 pm

plimmerton811 wrote:Pete, interesting place to pick but try about 6k closer to Gsy.

"Don’t keep us in suspense......what is the inferior forums opinion of this theft and cover-up??"

There you go again giving inflammatory opinions, of the above three pieces, "inferior forum, theft and cover up". One is debatable and of personal choice, one is true and one is total rubbish based on ignorance. I'll let you read the forum you'll feel at home cause there is a lot of total rubbish on it about conspiracy's, cover ups etc etc.

plimmerton811, you are one hell of a poster. I happen to think the other forum is total trash and I am entitled to my opnion. Equally, if any of my opnions on this forum are causing you severe bouts of anger and outburts of screaming fits then bad news for you your going to have a lot of these.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 19 Nov 2008, 3:04 am

Thanks for the compliment, as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion on any forum. You do not cause me bouts of anything other than sorrow. I just get bemused that you can post an allegation of a cover up when you have no evidence what so ever to support that, and you give no reason as to why you think it is a cover up. You post as if you are right and have knowledge, as in the post about States Members, but in actual fact you are rumour mongering and repeating uninformed pub gossip. What good does that do.

The local police give it to D&C so they can't be accused of a cover up. Do you really believe, hand on heart, that the D&C Constab' are actively covering up.

Take time to read the other thread, rubbish forum or not and you will see some good posts and some explanations into the legal system. Then do a post or send me a PM with an explanation as to why you think it is a cover up.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Wed 19 Nov 2008, 11:41 am

I dont think we should disregard a police cover up,the legal profession and the police are the two biggest offenders worldwide in bribery,blackmail and corruption.

I believe someone in customs knows what happened but are not saying,you wouldnt think this would be a rocket science case to work out but when we look at the past police and law officers record in guernsey their record is lets say a lot to be desired,one example which springs to mind the TSB bank robbery.

Whats the law when someone leaves the island after commiting a offence ? I cant believe they just get away with it,people are arrested daily worldwide and sent back home to be charged.

Anyone know the actual law on this ?

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkyD Wed 19 Nov 2008, 1:26 pm

On the extradition front, the Guernsey government has been actively considering the introduction of new extradition legislation for some time. According to a schedule of proposed legislation as at 31st January 2008, a new extradition law is on the cards, although unlikely to happen in the next 12 months.

It might be asked why Guernsey has not hastened to follow the example of her sister island, Jersey, and speeded new legislation into force in response to the Treaty. Jersey had new legislation on the statute books by 2004, which essentially mirrored the provisions of the 2003 Treaty. However, given the challenges which
the UK has faced with the 2003 Treaty, it is perhaps no bad thing that Guernsey is holding back and taking stock. In any event, the extradition legislation which currently applies in Guernsey (based on the UK Extradition Act 1989) seems adequate.

Indeed - arguably it presents less scope for challenge under the Guernsey equivalent of the UK Human Rights Act in view of the continuing requirement for the government requesting extradition to provide evidence of conviction rather than mere information as to an alleged crime.
MarkyD
MarkyD

Male
Number of posts : 1148
Job/hobbies : Professional Layabout
Humor : Manic - varying from dirty to clinically insane
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.cwgsy.net/community/minimotoraceclub

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 20 Nov 2008, 6:09 am

plimmerton811 wrote:Thanks for the compliment, as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion on any forum. You do not cause me bouts of anything other than sorrow. I just get bemused that you can post an allegation of a cover up when you have no evidence what so ever to support that, and you give no reason as to why you think it is a cover up. You post as if you are right and have knowledge, as in the post about States Members, but in actual fact you are rumour mongering and repeating uninformed pub gossip. What good does that do.

The local police give it to D&C so they can't be accused of a cover up. Do you really believe, hand on heart, that the D&C Constab' are actively covering up.

Take time to read the other thread, rubbish forum or not and you will see some good posts and some explanations into the legal system. Then do a post or send me a PM with an explanation as to why you think it is a cover up.

plimmerton811, I like your posts but I have no need to read other posts on that dreadful forum you are so openly promoting in order that I can give my views or conclusion. Before I post any comment I think very hard and establish all of the facts I have gathered before me. I strongly believe that this money was nicked and you must surely think something stinks here. By holding this view I am neither right or am wrong or am I pointing the finger in anyone’s direction. I applaud both our Police Service and Customs for the sterling work some of them do. I am not a yes man never will be. Abraham Lincoln once said ''To sin by silence makes coward out of men''....Rather poignant wouldn’t you say!!

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 20 Nov 2008, 8:42 am

Okay Pete, Lets look at this logically. I am not promoting any forum, each has its strengths and weaknesses. What I am doing is asking you to take time out and read a thread on that forum. It is a good thread has some stupid uneducated comments but it will give you more insight and facts so that you will have more information at your fingertips and be able to make a more informed decision. It will give you knowledge. Being a yes man has nothing to do with it. Trust me there is no cover up.

The facts are known but because they can not be released it does not mean that they are covered up it has a lot to do with evidence. Please grit your teeth and read the WHY GUERNSEY thread, I think you will then come to the same conclusion as I have.

Incidently I take it you are a Guern' cause you have one of the traits, stubborness, and that is not meant as an insult.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 22 Nov 2008, 9:35 am

OK, I will take a look at the other site and gain a better insight into this theft and then give a more balanced opnion of this matter....

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Fri 05 Dec 2008, 9:05 am

Did you have time to read it ? We await your balanced opinion :)

Chok Dee Ja

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:44 pm

News at last.Tonights CTV news said West Country police are looking for an unnamed person to "Help them in their enquiries"Could this be the end of this saga?
bug1
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:50 pm

fantastic !

Its taken them 4 years to find out that the person who took the money left customs then the island.
The Gimp
The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:54 pm

the plot thickens................... :-)

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell Fri 31 Jul 2009, 8:37 am

........ but no arrest!!!

Dell
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri 31 Jul 2009, 9:16 am

Arrest??? what for???? the Home Office (ain't that a posh name for a group of Guerns?) would only overturn the decision!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp Fri 31 Jul 2009, 3:43 pm

wonder how much this has cost ?
The Gimp
The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down