www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey

2 posters

Go down

Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey Empty Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey

Post by GD Mon 22 Nov 2010, 12:09 pm

Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey _50092752_alderney_aerial-3 Alderney's government has been linked to Guernsey since an agreement after World War II

The islands have been linked since an agreement in 1948 gave Guernsey responsibility for many government services.

Higher living costs in Alderney have raised questions over the value of the alliance.
But Guernsey Treasury and Resources Minister Charles Parkinson said the arrangements benefited Alderney.
Before World War II, Alderney, which had a population of about 1,400, was self-sufficient thanks to farming, fishing and quarrying.
Following the war, upon hearing of the condition of the island after the German occupation, many of the islanders did not return, leaving only 600 people on Alderney.
The Government of Alderney Law 1948 organised the construction and election of the States of Alderney, the justice system and taxation.
Mr Parkinson said: "If it was the democratic wish of the people of Alderney to review this I don't think we would be able to resist having that conversation.
"We can't enslave the island of Alderney if they don't want to be part of the club.
"It's very clear to me that Alderney benefits financially from these arrangements.
"I think if the people of Alderney looked at the situation in the cold light of day they would realise that it would not be in their interest to tear up the 1948 agreement.
"That's an assessment for them to make." (from BBC)
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey Empty Re: Alderney warned on independence from Guernsey

Post by kat Mon 22 Nov 2010, 2:48 pm

Perhaps we need better relationship with them instead i would love to pop up on a day trip .by boat ,we can go to the other island daily if we needed to this island is part of us and is our sister island ..
kat
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down