www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’

+5
Barney Gumble
Thistle
Workaholic
Pete Burtenshaw
GD
9 posters

Go down

Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’ Empty Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’

Post by GD Sat 27 Sep 2008, 2:57 pm

THE problems for people looking for housing are worse than they were 40 years ago. Sarnia Housing Association chairman Martin Le Boutillier is calling on the States to find a solution to the difficulties caused by high rents and the price of property.

‘The States needs to look into the desperate state of some people and try to ascertain the scale of the problem,’ he said. The charity was born out of a similar situation to the one which exists today.

‘The difference is now it affects everyone,’ he said. ‘Most of us in this island benefit from the high standard of living we have created, but sadly this has placed a section of our community in an impossible position when finding suitable living accommodation on the island.’

Speaking at the charity’s 40th anniversary celebration, Mr Le Boutillier said it was especially difficult for those wanting to get on the property ladder.

‘People have steady jobs, even in the banking industry, and they still can’t afford a home,’ he said. Mr Le Boutillier said the States should examine how to alleviate the problem. (from thisisguernsey)

Well I am sure that the way States are cutting down the amount of States Housing is not helping...
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’ Empty Re: Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 05 Oct 2008, 9:30 pm

And we are literally giving away all of our housing stock to the Housing Association, still thats what you get for having an Englishman in charge of Housing.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’ Empty Re: Housing woes ‘worse than in the 1960s’

Post by Workaholic Fri 24 Oct 2008, 5:29 pm

If I was the states housing department, I would only give states housing to those too old to do anything about their situation & the physically disabled (too disabled to work that is)

There is no unemployment issues here in Guernsey, you don't need qualifications / experience to get a job either! Even if it means getting more than 1 job.

Give all tenants a year to move out, that gives them a year to save like mad!

Get the states to start up a central to the island free Childcare facility for children under the age of school age & banish states hand outs!

If you want children, you have to be able to afford them off your own back. If you want to live in such a beautiful safe Island then I think you should have to pay to do so.

Get all of guernsey's society out working for a living. If it means full time & more then so be it. People will then strive to do better as they will then want more for themselves and their families.

Lets get back to basics here! Mobile phones, holidays, cars, motorbikes, labelled clothing / shoes, sky tv, smoking, drinking etc are all luxuries! You have to earn them, they are the things you treat yourself with when & if you have enough money left after paying the mortgage, the bills, the food, etc yet how many states tenants have these luxuries!!

If you are too old to get a mortgage then rent. If it means the children have to share bedrooms then so be it, if it means that you no longer have a parking space or a garden then again, so be it.

It took my younger sister (whilst renting in the private sector) and who has a young child 2 years of real grafting, working a full time job, overtime at that job, a part time job she does at home, another part time job she did at weekends and 2 nights a week at college to get her house 5 months ago.

If you really want something, strive to get it for yourself. Don't rely on anyone else!

I was bought up with values that I now install into my children. We might not have much but we have our family, our house and our self respect.

Yet we still have to pay for the likes of some of you to be housed!! It's a joke! We have our own young families to support, feed and clothe.

The housing department should get their acts together and stop wasting money!

Workaholic

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 24 Oct 2008, 6:18 pm

.excuse me but as a states tenant i pay full rent for my house and ask the states for nothing.my husband works in a full ltime job and we care for our grown up daughter who has learning disabilities.by the way caring for her at home saves the states of guernsey over £60,000 a yearin costs for residential care..whilst i agree there are peeps out there who take advantage of the system there are lots of hard working people living in states houses who are possibly working two jobs to keep their heads above water.maybe you could tell us when you bought your house was it before the massive increase which has priced most ordinary working people out of buying their own home.we have our rented house,our family and our self respect as well.
i dont smoke,i have an occasional drink .i have a very old car which i need to get daughter out and about in.oh shame on me i also have sky television and a mob ile phone.for goodness sake do you want us all to live in rags and beg for help from the property owning people of guernsey.get off your high horse and get a life.

Last edited by Thistle on Fri 24 Oct 2008, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Fri 24 Oct 2008, 6:20 pm

by the way i agree about childcare and yes if jobs are to be had peeps should be made to accept them or lose their money.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Gumble Fri 24 Oct 2008, 8:36 pm

Workaholic... Who the hell are you to dictate to us States Tenants??

For your information, I work full time. Always have. Wifes given up work to birth our 4th child. She will return when she can. We've always paid into the system. We aint scroungers and never have been. Our kids are well looked after, (no expensive labels here) yes we have a car and i run a scooter to work and back to cut back on costs.

Yes we have states housing. We cant afford fook all else! and if its the choice between staying in our house cuz we cant realisticly afford anything else, or leave the island, fook it. WERE STAYING!!!

My Ex has a states house and she claims for EVERYTHING!!! Her first son and (our) second son is at school now. How about cut the crap, and force people like HER into work??? Hell No!! She's comfortable on sup, dragging me through the courts for maintainenec etc.... MORE TAX PAYERS MONEY WASTED!

End of day, I work, Wife Worked (and will work again) so wheres your problem??? with people like me, who try our best to make ends meet, or scoungers???

Think we both know where this argument is going!
Barney Gumble
Barney Gumble

Male
Number of posts : 442
Job/hobbies : Drunkard
Humor : Buuuuuurp!
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 25 Oct 2008, 5:41 pm

I must amend my comment on the Housing Association because I admit I have made an error.They are a reputable organisation who provide social housing and the only organisation for the past 25 years who have built social homes.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 25 Oct 2008, 5:48 pm

Workaholic, I must confess I am a bit confused by your posts. You say you live in a States house and you are happy to live in one but if you had your way then only the elderly or disabled would receive housing. Are your posts so anti local because your ex is allegedly milking a system which is there for milking by the way?
We do have unemployment and for many reasons. Most are out of work are not lazy. Look at today’s press, 30 jobs gone some of them will join the ever increasing ranks of the unemployed so are they tarnished with the same local brush of ignorance???

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Tue 18 Nov 2008, 3:11 pm

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:
Workaholic, I must confess I am a bit confused by your posts. You say you live in a States house and you are happy to live in one but if you had your way then only the elderly or disabled would receive housing. Are your posts so anti local because your ex is allegedly milking a system which is there for milking by the way?
We do have unemployment and for many reasons. Most are out of work are not lazy. Look at today’s press, 30 jobs gone some of them will join the ever increasing ranks of the unemployed so are they tarnished with the same local brush of ignorance???

Actually Pete, Workaholic does not say he/she lives in a States house or have an ex at all. You're confused because you're mixing up 2 posters, Workaholic and Barney Gumble, who seem to me to have very differing views
jan
jan

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 18 Nov 2008, 8:18 pm

it looks that way jan.......I must have posted that post wilst I was asleep........

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 19 Nov 2008, 7:50 pm

That was a very strong post Workaholic but I don't think it will win you many friends. I think perhaps you should have altered it in some way to reflect that you are (I hope) only getting at the people who are scrounging off and making the most of the system.

Barney and Thistle I am sure would agree that there are a lot of people in the States Housing system who abuse that system and give others a bad name but perhaps we should not tar everyone with the same brush and we have to accept that what suits some as a lifestyle does not suit others.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 20 Nov 2008, 6:12 am

plimmerton811, so right.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Tue 03 Feb 2009, 10:42 am

Just to cover a few points first of all the decision to go down the housing association route was a decision of the States as a whole, not as Mr Burtenshaw would have you believe the decision of an Englishman. Secondly we have provided more new social housing in the last 8 years than in the previous 30 as the GHA is grant funded by the Taxpayer and all these homes sit on what was once States land and in the framework agreement between the GHA and the States of Guernsey it will remain in social housing use for ever, the can never sell them and the States have complete control over what these homes can be used for. Housing get 75% of all the new allocations on GHA projects in the case of Victoria Avn we will get 100% of that development we have joint waiting lists and the rebate scheme also applies to all GHA tenants who qualify. If the states had to find all the money to build this new housing it would simply not get done because we don’t have the many millions needed which is why the baulk of the funding comes from the GHA’s own borrowing facility, we also as taxpayers do not have to maintain the new homes as that also comes under the responsibility of the GHA. One other thing lets explode this myth about our tenants 99% of our tenants are decent hard working people they have lived on some pretty crappy estates that should have been torn down years ago and I and my board are trying to put that right we have also refurbished hundreds of states homes to bring them up to modern standards. We do have a small minority who cause problems and we deal with them under the law. Finally the question of high earners in States properties, again this was a decision of the States not just the Housing Department. I have people on our waiting list who only earn about 200 pounds a week never 200 above the threshold social housing was never intended to be from the cradle to grave it is there to help people at a time when they cannot afford to access other housing tenures. People ask why we don’t just charge the high earners higher rents? The answer is simple, no one should be able to buy the right to social need housing just because they can afford to, above those on the waiting list who can’t.

Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Male
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 04 Feb 2009, 2:05 am

Dave, "never intended to be from the cradle to the grave" it sometimes appears that some people have a good amount of money, live in states houses and run companies from those houses and could afford to rent/own in the private sector but are not moved out. For them it is C to G

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Feb 2009, 4:47 pm

plimmerton maybe you should discuss this with the relevant department
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 04 Feb 2009, 5:30 pm

I used to work with a guy at Guernsey Gas (nearly 20 years ago) who took as much overtime as he could (more power to him) what I objected to was his attitude to his States House! He used to openly brag that he and his wife worked (no dependent children) and he had a States House and no he would not move - why should he - as when his father died he would inherit his house......I found that logic quite nauseating!!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Wed 04 Feb 2009, 5:34 pm

things have changed karma.tenancy reviews are being carried out on a regular basis.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Wed 04 Feb 2009, 5:37 pm

That's good, if a little overdue!!!

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Wed 04 Feb 2009, 7:29 pm

Thistle wrote:plimmerton maybe you should discuss this with the relevant department

Why, this is a small community the relevant department owns the houses and administers the tenancy agreements. If it has a will then it can determine who is and who isn't using the system, it is not rocket science it just means getting out and doing some work.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Thu 05 Feb 2009, 5:51 pm

Tenants are required to furnish the HD with details of their income in order that we can set rents and apply a rebate if necessary. If any tenant is hiding income and is making a false declaration on the form they return to us then they are committing a criminal offence.

Thistle is quite right, if you have any information then you should contact the tenancy section of the Housing Department

Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 Thu 05 Feb 2009, 8:05 pm

I have no current info' but I take your point and would report if necessary.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Jones Sun 08 Feb 2009, 9:18 am

Thistle is absolutly right, If someone is decieving the department by not declaring all their income then that is an offence and woafully unfair to all the other hardworking tenants who pay their way.

Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down