www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unemployment Up

+18
kat
Fast Robert
technophobe
Dave Jones
Dell
EDDIE
Peterr
plimmerton811
Chok Dee Ja
wayside
Pete Burtenshaw
Spirit
jan
Digger
Thistle
GD
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Unemployment Up Empty Guernsey Unemployment = 480

Post by GD Thu 13 Mar 2008, 10:43 pm

The number of people out of work in the Bailiwick is down by 5% compared to
this time last year.

Social Security has just released their unemployment figures.

Currently there are 253 islanders signing on.

83 of them are in casual or part time work or involved in a state organised
scheme, such as the Karabiner project or the Community and Environmental
Projects Scheme.

Sorry I cannot understand why we need import workers and still these people in pocket ...Get them back to work..

Last edited by GD on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 3:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Up Empty Re: Unemployment Up

Post by Thistle Fri 14 Mar 2008, 6:44 am

i totally agree there GD.by far the largest percentage of these was in the 15-19 year old group.why are these kids not made to go to work instead of being given benefits the minute they leave school.imo no unemployment or supp benefits should be payable unless people have at least five years insurance stamps paid.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Sat 15 Mar 2008, 3:32 pm

Not quite sure that they should not any benefit, but perhaps the way it is paid to them and the length of time they are entitled to it should be reveiwed..
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sat 15 Mar 2008, 4:48 pm

Quote : "Sorry I cannot understand why we need import workers and still these people in pocket ...Get them back to work"

Spot on GD it seams silly to recruit from elsewhere and we have loads here.
Digger
Digger

Male
Number of posts : 7134
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Sun 16 Mar 2008, 2:31 pm

Your right I still think we "Import" too many people to do the jobs that these youngsters can do
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Thu 20 Mar 2008, 8:57 pm

Thistle, I discovered when I came back to the UK they dont take any Guernsey contributions into account for Unemployment benefit/sickness benefit until you have paid at least 1 'Class 1' (employed) contibution into account so paying 1st before benefits is not a new idea.
I think youngsters should have to pay a minimum number of contributions before they are entitled to benefits.If we can get them into jobs in the 1st place they will see the benefit of working- more money, social contact, more pride in their achievements etc.
jan
jan

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Up Empty 254 out of Work

Post by GD Wed 11 Jun 2008, 3:14 pm

254 people out of work, its not good, prehaps the States need to think of a re-training scheme...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Wed 11 Jun 2008, 6:20 pm

That seems a lot surely before they ship more people in the should as GD says is retrain some of them to fill some of the jobs that you see on the press daily.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Wed 11 Jun 2008, 6:42 pm

For the size of the Island, that is not too bad. There will always be a number of people who are unemployable, plus some who are in between jobs so only unemployed for a short time.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Thu 12 Jun 2008, 7:21 am

good idea GD.the long term unemployed should be made to retrain or lose all benefits.yes spirit there will be peeps in between jobs or as you say unemployable.the unemployable should be trained into becoming employable.think of the money that would save.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Up Empty Unemployment up Again!

Post by GD Thu 03 Jul 2008, 1:07 pm

266 out of work, compared to 226 last year.

Not good this time of year, highest age group is between 16-29

The States need to do more now, before the summer season is over, and employment really takes a jump...
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 29 Jul 2008, 8:36 pm

ask the question......WHY!!

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Unemployment Up Empty Guernsey Unemployment is up "447"

Post by GD Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:50 pm

Unemployment in Guernsey's rising.

The numbers claiming benefits at the end of last month was 285 compared with 266 at the end of June.

Year on year, it's an increase of over a tenth.

In July 2007 the figure stood at 254. (from Isle FM)

Its going to get worse..

Last edited by GD on Thu 02 Apr 2009, 9:05 am; edited 5 times in total
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

It’s the fault of the following:-

1) Education

2) Employers

3) Social Security

4) Parents

Most importantly it is the individuals attitude to actually getting a job and doing a good days work for a good days pay. If you have benefit which pays you the same amount of money or more or less that a place of work pays you then what are you going to do....

I think it’s a disgrace that we have such numbers out of work and the ages are also a disgrace. Young men and women whose only prospect is signing on.......what a indictment of our government.

We have well established companies who have an unwritten rule that they only employ guest workers because they pay them peanuts and they live in squalor and nothing is done about these companies because of who they are and who is a director. Hence, the high level of unemployment or a contributing factor.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Fri 15 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

You have some good points there Pete . What gets me is when i was a nipper you only got paid for a few months and if you had not found a job in that time they stopped paying you .Maybe they should start that again,not that i was out of work i couldn't wait to leave school to start work and apart for a deep recession in the building trade where i lost about five weeks i have worked ever since i even made flower boxes as a stop gap in waiting for the building trade to start again .
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Fri 15 Aug 2008, 11:23 pm

There should be 2 lists, the unemployed and the unemployable,

The unemployed should be helped to get a job but made to work at least every few weeks on states schemes for a week or so to keep them in a working mode,

And the unemployable should be on a states schemes all the time and make them do something for what they get and if they wont do it, stop the benefit.

At the moment we do not have the money to give wasters a free ride for years on end.

Sadly I expect the unemployed to rise a lot more before the year is out so things are not likely to get better
wayside
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:48 am

It could be said that the procedures & policies we have in place at SSD is the major stumbling block for getting people back to work. This does not however take anything away from the CEO or his superb staff. No, the problem is we have employed ex UK managers and they have brought over their failed working procedures & policies which have not worked in the UK’s SSD/NHS or Education professions. These failed UK workers are the biggest threat to all of our States departments and have many many times proven so. I tire from seeing these zealots who do not have a clue but are paid hundreds of thousands of our tax pounds continually get it wrong and then have a pat on the back and a promotion or their faces splashed over the local preaching how good that dept is or this dept is and in reality it stinks. Don’t believe me then ask some of those who work in these professions and they will tell you. I must say however we are also very very lucky that we do have some extremely superb outside professionals who came over here to escape those same managers procedures & policies but alas because we are slowly becoming a UK borough escaping those morons is becoming increasingly difficult.

Wayside your idea of having two lists, one for those who are deemed unemployable and those who are employable sounds plausible in another spectrum but in this day and age of political correctness it could be looked on as fascist ideology i.e. WW2 and discriminatory giving those who are labeled unemployable the possibility of winning a discriminatory court case and suing our gov’s ass. The irony here is it is the gov’s failed education policies that are responsible for deeming these alleged individuals unemployable in the first place……..What goes around comes around!!

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:56 am

you only have to go and sit at the social security in the truchot to see these lazy little sods.wayside is right we have two kinds of unemployed. the ones who want to work and the ones who wont get out of bed to do an honest days graft.i agree about putting the long term unemployed back to work on various states schemes at least then they would be doing something for their cash. we also need childcare provision brought in to help mums who want to return to work.i also feel that in times of high unemployment locals should always be employed in shops,hotels etc before a guest worker.benefit should be stopped if the person refuses the job.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 16 Aug 2008, 8:17 am

I agree with you in that all should be done to get all the unemployed back into the work place. Instead of discriminating why don’t you and wayside go down to SSD and speak with those you term lazy little sods and find out why they are indeed lazy little sods. You both have all of the answers after all.........I some how think you both may change your outlook and opinion of a lot of those you term lazy little sods…Also look at the system because if the system is at fault then it is human nature to exploit it……..

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat 16 Aug 2008, 8:52 am

pete some of the lazy little sods dont want to work when they can pick up their unemployment or supp benefit every week for doing nothing.i know that is not always the case but believe me i have heard from a relative who employs peeps of kids going along for interviews saying they wouldn't get out of bed to go to work but have to go for interviews or lose their benefits. yes i agree our education system is failing some kids as are some parents but it is wrong that kids can go straight on to benefits on leaving school. all this does is make them think as above why should i work.
Thistle
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sat 16 Aug 2008, 9:11 am

My parents taught me that you have to WORK for a living and if that is doing something you do not particularly like as a stop gap until you find something you do like so be it . As for lazy i would say yes we have had some at work who just do not want to work and will do anything so that you will get rid of them so they can go back to sign on saying the job was not suitable . There should be very few unemployed on this island only the unemployable like Wayside has said . My advice to them is go to work you might even learn something and enjoy it.

What makes me mad is seeing them wandering the streets (after midday they don't get up until then) moaning that there is nothing to do. Get them cleaning the streets or doing charity work so they can say well at least i did something constructive this week.
Digger
Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sat 16 Aug 2008, 11:50 am

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:

Wayside your idea of having two lists, one for those who are deemed unemployable and those who are employable sounds plausible in another spectrum but in this day and age of political correctness it could be looked on as fascist ideology i.e. WW2 and discriminatory giving those who are labeled unemployable the possibility of winning a discriminatory court case and suing our gov’s ass.

You dont have to discriminate against people they do it themselves by not working for over 6 months or by not keeping jobs more than a week or two at a time year after year, these are unemployable by the fact they cant or WONT keep a job.

Set up a unit that in order for them to claim unemployment benifit they have to attend at 9am ever day (give them bus passes if needed) but if they are not there they get nothing, that will at least get them out of bed.

There should be facilities for them to apply for jobs but if they are not activly looking for work , make them either do some work even if its only cutting up yesterdays presses and catagorising the articals and adverts, the idea is not to earn from them (although if there is somthing they can do that can help fund their benefit that would be better) but to make sure they realise you have to earn money not get it given for nothing.

Nobody should get money for not even trying year after year and there are several that do.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 16 Aug 2008, 5:45 pm

Thistle & Digger, you are so right in what you say in your posts. Don’t get me wrong I know that there are youngsters out there who have no inkling to find work and yes it is annoying especially in our era we went looking for work. Wayside, u sir are 20years behind the aim is to educate and install enthusiasm in these teenagers not kill their already partly destroyed brains...............

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:20 am

I dont care what they do with these people as long as they get them out of bed, keep them off the streets and dont just give them a paycheque each week for doing absolutly nothing for in some cases years.

So what do you think should be done with them, that's not something not PC or against the poor things human rights. :Mad1:
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 17 Aug 2008, 7:25 am

Wayside, if I had all of the answers to the ever increasing unemployment problem then I would be earning £60,000+ per year. I do however have views and opinions on the matter which I have detailed in my prev posts on this matter.

Tell me something don’t you think employers in the island increase the unemployment problem by employing guest workers at lousy rates.....

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next