www.VUE DES ISLES.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unemployment Up

+18
kat
Fast Robert
technophobe
Dave Jones
Dell
EDDIE
Peterr
plimmerton811
Chok Dee Ja
wayside
Pete Burtenshaw
Spirit
jan
Digger
Thistle
GD
22 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Unemployment Up - Page 2 Empty Re: Unemployment Up

Post by Digger Sat 16 Aug 2008, 9:11 am

My parents taught me that you have to WORK for a living and if that is doing something you do not particularly like as a stop gap until you find something you do like so be it . As for lazy i would say yes we have had some at work who just do not want to work and will do anything so that you will get rid of them so they can go back to sign on saying the job was not suitable . There should be very few unemployed on this island only the unemployable like Wayside has said . My advice to them is go to work you might even learn something and enjoy it.

What makes me mad is seeing them wandering the streets (after midday they don't get up until then) moaning that there is nothing to do. Get them cleaning the streets or doing charity work so they can say well at least i did something constructive this week.

Digger

Number of posts : 7134
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sat 16 Aug 2008, 11:50 am

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:

Wayside your idea of having two lists, one for those who are deemed unemployable and those who are employable sounds plausible in another spectrum but in this day and age of political correctness it could be looked on as fascist ideology i.e. WW2 and discriminatory giving those who are labeled unemployable the possibility of winning a discriminatory court case and suing our gov’s ass.

You dont have to discriminate against people they do it themselves by not working for over 6 months or by not keeping jobs more than a week or two at a time year after year, these are unemployable by the fact they cant or WONT keep a job.

Set up a unit that in order for them to claim unemployment benifit they have to attend at 9am ever day (give them bus passes if needed) but if they are not there they get nothing, that will at least get them out of bed.

There should be facilities for them to apply for jobs but if they are not activly looking for work , make them either do some work even if its only cutting up yesterdays presses and catagorising the articals and adverts, the idea is not to earn from them (although if there is somthing they can do that can help fund their benefit that would be better) but to make sure they realise you have to earn money not get it given for nothing.

Nobody should get money for not even trying year after year and there are several that do.

wayside

Number of posts : 700
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 16 Aug 2008, 5:45 pm

Thistle & Digger, you are so right in what you say in your posts. Don’t get me wrong I know that there are youngsters out there who have no inkling to find work and yes it is annoying especially in our era we went looking for work. Wayside, u sir are 20years behind the aim is to educate and install enthusiasm in these teenagers not kill their already partly destroyed brains...............

Pete Burtenshaw

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 17 Aug 2008, 12:20 am

I dont care what they do with these people as long as they get them out of bed, keep them off the streets and dont just give them a paycheque each week for doing absolutly nothing for in some cases years.

So what do you think should be done with them, that's not something not PC or against the poor things human rights. :Mad1:

wayside

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 17 Aug 2008, 7:25 am

Wayside, if I had all of the answers to the ever increasing unemployment problem then I would be earning £60,000+ per year. I do however have views and opinions on the matter which I have detailed in my prev posts on this matter.

Tell me something don’t you think employers in the island increase the unemployment problem by employing guest workers at lousy rates.....

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 17 Aug 2008, 6:04 pm

Not all employers do pay guest workers "lousy rates" also not all employers have guest workers in poor acommodation, my first encounter with employing guest workers was only a a couple of years ago even though I had been a director of a company for a couple of years before, I had no Idea what the conditions were that the staff were in.

When I took over control, and I saw the conditions they were in, and the pay they were getting, within 3 weeks all staff were moved and wages increased.

I do know that its not the same everywhere as I was talking to an ex employee last night and was told how bad the acommodation and working conditions are where he is now.

Having said that his wages were better where he is now but he said he would rather work for me for less because of the way he is treated.

So level of pay is not everthing, and to be honest the level of wages are to a degree dictated by the amount people are willing to pay for food and services I dont think there are many places, but may be a few, that are making a huge profit from paying low wages in Guernsey.
wayside
wayside

Male
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sun 17 Aug 2008, 6:11 pm

Wayside, do guest workers narrow down the employment prospects of a percentage of those seeking employment who are currently unemployed or those who are looking to make a career change??

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 17 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

I can assure you that most of the people that are unemployed and have been for several months would never get a job for me as I have interviewed several and they just dont want to work.

Also I have 2 businesses one is all local staff and I cant really imagine using Guest Workers the other is a mixture and there are not enough local workers with either the expierience or more imprortanly the inclination to do some of these jobs.

Guest workers in Hotels, Restaurants, Horticulture etc are not a threat to local jobs as locals dont want the jobs anyway, the ones in the trades and some shops are taking local jobs and should be monitored.

But take them all away and the Islands grinds to a halt
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 18 Aug 2008, 12:27 pm

Grinds to a halt.......give me a break. Granted some industries would have problems functioning but thats it. The finance industry takes all or most of the school leavers who have not been left behind by the Education system we have over here. There are skills shortages in the trades i.e. carpenters, electricians, metal workers, builders, plumbers etc, Falla and the likes are bringing in Polish or other East Euro workers allegedly because the locals will not work for the lousy wages that Falla and the likes are allegedly paying and they are not the only ones bringing in east euro workers there are thousands in other industries taking employment away from locals and the skill training needed.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Mon 18 Aug 2008, 12:30 pm

I know a Latvian carpenter who was working for RG but has now returned home, he was being paid the same rate as local chippies.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Mon 18 Aug 2008, 5:18 pm

Pete, If there are thousands of local jobs being taken by non locals and only about 100 employable locals that are unemplyed to do them, who would do all these jobs if we kicked them out?

A lot of employers who are looking for staff will have to accept below the standard that they want because there is actually a big staff shortage in the Island,

If the pool of unemployed people was say 600 then you would see a lot of people currently employed loose there jobs as they only have one because there is nobody better available.

You are seeing many guest workers now arranging there own acommodation and demanding higher wages in the Building trade as Spirit said.

Many KPs are still taking home about £150.00 clear after Tax, Insurance, Food and Acommodation, that may seem a low wage but how many so called low paid locals are saving Over £100 a week
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Tue 19 Aug 2008, 7:35 am

Based on your post above you are now saying that you would employ a person who is on the dole because the economic situation dictates this??

I fully agree that guest workers should be paid the same wage as any other employee this is just one guy not all employers are paying same-same wages. I stand by my point that the employers are one of the contributory factors in the rise of the unemployed ranks of locals. We could see an epidemic of youngsters who once in the system will never ever have the skills to leave, therefore the system traps them. The systems very survival is based on reguler clients, it becomes a circle of dependency - Departmental survival = regular clients = departmental survival ie SSD, Mental Health & child care services these departments systems are only there because it is in their best interest to retain a certain percentage of clients.

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Tue 19 Aug 2008, 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 21 Aug 2008, 1:21 am

Lately I have noticed that your posts dont make a whole lot of sense to me, and you dont seem to understand mine as you keep changing the meaning of what I write to suit yourself,

Or maybe I am not bright enough to understand you.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 21 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

I think my posts make sense and go some way in addressing yours. I can’t speak for your educational ability I just think we term responses differently....

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Thu 04 Sep 2008, 8:08 pm

Unemployment in Guernsey's seen a drop in the last month. At the end of
August, 275 people were claiming benefits, ten less than at the end of July.
The figure's still higher than this time last year, when it stood at 257.

10 less... not a lot
GD
GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Thu 04 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm

at the end of the summer (SOON) there will be a big rise as a few places are about to close.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Fri 05 Sep 2008, 6:15 am

Well wayside according to T&R the islands not facing an economic downturn therefore unemployment is not a problem and we should not worry.Gsyplc will be the only place in the western world which will be untouched by the tentacles of recession!!!!!!!!!

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Fri 05 Sep 2008, 9:44 pm

It makes you wonder where they get there facts from, you only have to speak to people to know they are hurting and I know of 2 businesses that have been going for 30+ Years about to close there doors and a few others that will close if things dont change soon.

There are also many retail businesses including a couple of big ones, that are not making a living from there own trade that are now switching to selling products from other trades, and this in turn is causes a problem for that trade.
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 10 Oct 2008, 8:35 am

Unemployment in Guernsey has gone up by more than 25% over the past year, according to the latest figures.

They show that 284 people are now out of work in the island, compared to a figure of 219 this time last year.

The total unemployment figure represents 0.86% of the island's working population.

Out of the 284 unemployed, 19 people are taking part in community and environmental projects, and 69 are in part-time or casual work. (from BBC News)

Its going to be a hard winter for some... and not going to get any better
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Fri 10 Oct 2008, 1:14 pm

25% of sod all is still pretty insignificant.
Spirit
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 20 Oct 2008, 6:18 am

The 'drip, drip, drip' of the rise in unemployment is just the beginning of more unemployment to come. I am amazed that our gov have not taken steps in supporting more back to work schemes or stopped outside builders coming into the island. The increase of the financial burden & social issues which comes with unemployment should not be taken lightly.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Thu 23 Oct 2008, 5:30 am

Why the obsession with outside builders ? If you owned a company and needed for example 50 skilled workers and after your interviews the best credentials were from uk who would you employ ?

I dont understand your give locals a chance first mentality,there are hundreds of locals working abroad should they all be forced to come back home?

I think some of your viewpoints are living in the dark ages.

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Mon 27 Oct 2008, 5:41 pm

Chok Dee Ja wrote:Why the obsession with outside builders ? If you owned a company and needed for example 50 skilled workers and after your interviews the best credentials were from uk who would you employ ?

I dont understand your give locals a chance first mentality,there are hundreds of locals working abroad should they all be forced to come back home?

I think some of your viewpoints are living in the dark ages.

I for one would rather put money in a locals pocket then an outsiders so please explain what the problem is with this principle?

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chok Dee Ja Thu 30 Oct 2008, 11:27 am

Nothing wrong with it,personally i would pick the best qualified persons for the job,their birthplace would be irrelevant to me.

If you selected your team of local workers and the salaries worked out 100k a year more than you could have paid to other suitably qualified people,would you still be happy to stay with your "local pocket principal"

Chok Dee Ja

Male
Number of posts : 1537
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by GD Fri 07 Nov 2008, 5:20 pm

Unemployment up again..

298 unemployed

Its going to get far worse....
GD
GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 08 Nov 2008, 1:18 pm

Chok Dee Ja wrote:Nothing wrong with it,personally i would pick the best qualified persons for the job,their birthplace would be irrelevant to me.

If you selected your team of local workers and the salaries worked out 100k a year more than you could have paid to other suitably qualified people,would you still be happy to stay with your "local pocket principal"

local people anytime.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Sat 08 Nov 2008, 1:19 pm

GD, yes unemployment will get worse so the less we let in the better and the more we let out the better.........

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside Sun 09 Nov 2008, 4:20 pm

Its not all about numbers its more about having the right people for the jobs available, Theres still seems to be jobs available but the unemplyed still rise because they are not suited to the jobs
wayside
wayside

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sun 09 Nov 2008, 4:25 pm

why are they not suited to the jobs.surely this is where training comes in or don't employers bother to train staff anymore.
Thistle
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw Thu 13 Nov 2008, 9:29 pm

Thistle wrote:why are they not suited to the jobs.surely this is where training comes in or don't employers bother to train staff anymore.

good point thistle........

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next